Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (10)

Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

WG 2-way design thread.

There seems to be some interest in this so I figured I would post it up. I've had some drivers and veneer on the back burner for a few years and decided to do something with them. I got them all measured and Craig got me squared away with the files and a base x-over to start from. I don't have exact values on hand for this but ordered a bunch to test this week. It's going to be close to see if I can get something I really like built in time. I'll bring them to indiy either way but it may not be a final product. They are completely finished and nice looking from that aspect.

The first option sounded pretty good there is a little off-ness in the lower mids i need to figure it. The below info is an option I want to try. I wanted to give the woofer a little less slope and take a touch off the tweeter db wise. The phase still looks really good. IT's going to be a balancing act with really sharp roll offs on both drivers so you dont hear an abrupt transition. I really really love the sound of the tweeter in this guide. Im listening to demos and hear alot of cool stuff. The woofer RS270P-4 is as little quirky, I may need to change to a 3" port from a 2" port or just seal it for the time being.

As always question, comment, critique as you see fit. I don't offend easily.

First picture is the raw measurements and measurements with the filter in place.

Summed response with rev null

Summed response

Tweeter circuit (not targeting 2 order just didn't change it)

Woofer circuit   (not targeting 2 order just didn't change it)

JasonPkennykkonfyoused

Comments

• That response looks damn good. Hopefully you are pretty close to the end result.

So I see you mentioned the RS270P-4, but what is the tweeter. I'll hazard a guess: RS28A in the SEOS guide?
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • I'm with Jason , that looks pretty damn nice to me sir. What is it that you're hearing in the lower mids? 
  • Maybe you need to increase the inductor on the woofer a bit, +0.25mh or so, maybe that would take out that 2db rise from 300 to 800. That could be audible?
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Its rs28a in seos wg. Sorry I havent listened to this model yet. I ordered the parts for both xovers. The base had a 2.0 mh on the woofer which squashed that peak Jason mentioned and it rolled off a little harder, phase was near perfect overlay and tbe tweeter was pretty much flat all tbe way. I will post the base x-over model Craig laid out. There was a spanish song in one of the diy demo tracks that had alot of 800-1400 hz content that i didnt like tbe sound off. Most everything else sounded pretty good. I always like a few db of low end so thats why i want to try the above xover. 
  • I also need to ditch the 24g-28g test leads im using i think its causing problems. When i gave them the berries the woofer distorted way before it should have. 
    Nicholas_23JasonP
  • This 270p doesnt seem to dig as deep as one would expect a 10" too. Cabinet volume is approx 32 liters with a 2" port x 5.6" long its tuned to 33hz. F3,F6,F10 is 37, 32, 27 hz. 

The drum tracks sound really good. I dont feel a ton of air coming out of the port or any chuffing yet or maybe i just used to aluminum cone drivers. This is by far the most challenging design i've had to work with. Its doubtful ill have a "final" version by this weekend. I will probably need to play with crossover points a little more. 
  • I found it wouldn’t dig as deep as initially thought either when I modeled mine. However, don’t remember size/tuning specifics anymore, but I do recall it taking at least 75watts to reach xmax which I liked a lot.  
  • Thx, yeh wbcd suggested 30 liters. It can handle power tho. I guess i could try sealing the port with a 2" plumbing end stop. 
  • Lol, so break in your woofers! They are coming to life a little more now. 
  • @jhollander ; looks like you nailed it on 8-10kdip on the model above. I can tilt it back up a little. Beyond 10k might be a problem then but i can measure to verify. Thanks!
  • Mike I think a little 15K peak is fine on axis.  This really comes down to how you like your speakers.  I like detail so a 15K peak is OK if the "Ss" and snare drums/ brush on drums sound natural.  I've used a contour filter to lift the RS28A in a few designs.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails