Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Aurum Cantus AST 30130 in test box - Acousta-stuf polyfill vs Mundorf Angel Hair

So I finally got around to building a small test box. Similar to what it would be in, if I ended up using it in my project. The AST series from Aurum Cantus are dipoles, so a box for me was necessary.

Frequency response in test box, roughly 2.5V/1meter, in-room, with a 450Hz 2nd order HPF.

Frequency Response with Parts Express Acousta-stuf polyfill. Was identical with Mundorf Angel Hair, for all practical purposes.

What I was interested in was if the box stuffing affected distortion performance. Here is what I found.

Felt pad in-place for one set of tests, then removed for the others.

20g Acousta-stuf vs 3.9g Mundorf Angel Hair. Angel hair looks like sticky icky itchy fiberglass. WRONG! It is the softest thing I've ever held, softer than a newborn baby! I just want to hold it up against my face, lol.

That bundle of Angel Hair was the same size as the Acoust-stuff, but it just keeps expanding and expanding to fill up all available space. I had to put it in the test box and seal it up because I thought it was going to engulf my whole room, lol.

Obviously not a huge difference, but I'll take it (and everything else) with Angel Hair!   Distortion seems a bit high compared to manufacturer specs, but this was with a class-D amp, where as previously  (prior to 8 months) I was using a class A/B amp that I undoubtedly need to return to using.
kennykS7910GowaJasonPBryan@MAC

Comments

• Next up I will be testing out the Beyma TPL-150H also with polyfill and then with Mundorf Angel Hair as well.  And while I'm at it, also the Dayton AMTPRO-4 as well. 
  • edited April 2019
    You might want to try Tribble hair
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwG6MO92xtI

On a more serious note my go to was wool batting and Roxul
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • lol, I'm probably gonna try to put flat wool batting on the walls of the test box, as well as perhaps an angled baffle to see if it helps with any reflections that still make their way around inside.
  • I had a customer who stuffed his speakers with his dog's hair. I think it was husky.
    kennyk
  • I think I remember that guy posting that on PETT.
  • that's crazy, lol.  
  • My Newf sheds a ton. Maybe I'll go into business. 🤔
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • It was a Samoyed fur, not husky.
  • Damn ... my speaker got fleas!
    kennykPWRRYD