Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Yamaha RX-596 Problem

Hello all

Our old faithful Yamaha RX-596 stereo receiver has started misbehaving after many years.

Whatever the source (LP, radio or CD) , it's started intermittently only playing through the right stereo channel. I've checked the speaker connections at the back and they're OK.

When this drop out happens, the input select light might flicker, or not as the mood takes it. Flickering doesn't seem to make any difference to whether the left channel's working.

Any ideas on what might be wrong, please? I'm no electronics whizz, so no have no idea about how the internals work.

Thank you

Geoff

Comments

• I've worked on two Yamaha receivers with intermittent channel dropouts that were caused by the input selector switch. They just required a good cleaning. You can try spraying it inside with Caig and working it back and forth. Just unplug it before cleaning it.

Steve_LeeGeoffMillar
  • @ugly_woofer said:
    I've worked on two Yamaha receivers with intermittent channel dropouts that were caused by the input selector switch. They just required a good cleaning. You can try spraying it inside with Caig and working it back and forth. Just unplug it before cleaning it.

Thanks for the quick answer, I'll try that: do you know whether I have to take the switch out or does it have a removable cover? Obviously I have to take the top cover off the receiver.

Silly question: what's Caig, please?

Geoff

• Just find an opening on the switch somewhere and spray some contact cleaner in it - and any other switches & pots while you have the cover off.

GeoffMillar
  • Steve is correct about spraying the switch. Craig Deoxit is a common cleaner/lube for switches and pots.

GeoffMillar
  • Thank you all!

We don't have that in Oz but I have something similar

Geoff

• Selector switches are always suspect! But if it does this on any source, it may be the speaker protection relay(s). I think each output pair has their own relay on this one, so try the speaker B output and see if that cures the problem. The lights flickering could be a flaky solder joint or even a corroded fuse holder in the lamp circuit. If this has a momentary power button signaling a chip to turn the unit on, it may have a relay in the power supply that's arching.
    I'll see a schematic is available.

GeoffMillar
  • Thanks Tom, but please don't go to any trouble with a schematic, I wouldn't know what to do with it!

I'll try the speaker B suggestion and will give the unit a good clean with a can of compressed air.

Luckily we have a Yamaha 5.1 VX-367 receiver which I can use while I'm operating on this one.

We used to have an excellent local electronics shop but he's not around any more.

Geoff

• Tom has the correct next step.

• It's not any trouble. These things are like a puzzle to me. :)

Looking at the schematic, this does have a relay turning on the main power supply. It's the little black box back near the outlets. Try tapping on that with a chopstick next time the leds flicker.

• @Tom_S said:
    It's not any trouble. These things are like a puzzle to me. :)

Looking at the schematic, this does have a relay turning on the main power supply. It's the little black box back near the outlets. Try tapping on that with a chopstick next time the leds flicker.

Thanks Tom, will try that too

Geoff

• Other switches than the selector switch can cause problems. Things like tape monitor selectors can have issues. If I have an amp with a channel drop out I always exercise all the switches.

Ron

• @Ron_E said:
    Other switches than the selector switch can cause problems. Things like tape monitor selectors can have issues. If I have an amp with a channel drop out I always exercise all the switches.

Ron

Thanks Ron, will check that out too; for some reason it's behaving this morning but it won't last long. Maybe it knew I was going to unplug it and operate on it?

Geoff