Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Inside Scoop: Dayton Audio's New OPAL1 Speaker Review

Comments

• edited April 24

I appreciate his honesty and this speaker exhibits typical issues of 4th LR topology with no attention to diffraction control. They could have done better with this design. I disagree with him testing a 5" based 78db speaker to 96db and then pointing out it has high distortion at that level lol.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • He seems to expect an awful lot out that driver . . . in a 2-way with passive radiators . . .

• I'm surprised with the measurements. I wouldn't think Matt would design it with those humps.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @Steve_Lee said:
    He seems to expect an awful lot out that driver . . . in a 2-way with passive radiators . . .

What are you trying to say about passive radiators?

• It's a 5" driver playing 40Hz ~ 2+KHz.
    The passives have to be pushed by a small driver.
    IT's a small driver doing a lot of work with exorbitant expectations of it and doing pretty darn good job.

I hold no secret animosity toward passives unless they are aggressives as well.

=)

• I hope you realize that the Dayton Epique 5.25" driver would have to do exactly the same amount of "pushing" work against a port tube? The passive radiators physically fit that enclosure where a port tube would never fit. They do add quite a bit of cost but you can't cheat Hoffman.

tajanesSteve_LeeEd_Perkins