Ok, pretty nice day today so here is what I got done after work tonight:
Lots more sanding to do, then a bunch of finishing steps. But overall I like how this is shaping up look-wise. The free hand router work on the back side is pretty crappy... luckily nobody will see that when it's all done.
I dug through my wood pile and found a nice piece of walnut that should look nice for a front. I also found a scrap piece of steel mesh at work that has much smaller holes with tighter spacing. So I cut out a 4" x 3" rectangle, sand blasted it, then micro-zinc phosphated it. It has a nice flat black finish now that should look really slick when mounted from the back. It's snowing again today so no wood working for me
This is just a picture of parts sitting approximately where they will end up living. I need to machine that back aluminum plate and paint it black to match, drill a bunch of holes, insert some grommets, mount all the bits and pieces, then wiring everything. This sucka should rock!