Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Alternative to Silicone caulk for sealing joints

2»

Comments

• Holy cow batman it's JasonP!  Where in the wide world of sports have you been Buddy?  Are you building anything cool with those sweet drivers you bought from me?
  • If it smells like paint, wait until you can detect no odor with your sniffer very close. If you detect zero odor, it is done releasing gasses and you can probably proceed without worry. 

Let me know how long it takes.
    I have a signature.
  • Pete S. filled his marksmen (with the B&C) with epoxy plus steel slag blasting compound. I offered to carry one in from the parking lot in Iowa 2016. I didn't offer to carry it out...
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • What is steel slag blasting compound?
  • jr@mac said:
    If it smells like paint, wait until you can detect no odor with your sniffer very close. If you detect zero odor, it is done releasing gasses and you can probably proceed without worry. 

Let me know how long it takes.
    After a few hours its drying. Kind of feels like a thin layer of silly string. Doing the knuckle wrap test i didnt see an improvement before and after. It looks cooler but thats about it. 
  • Craig- I think it's the steel shot or sand used in sandblasting. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

And yes- cheap-o kitty litter adds enough mass at times to really do some good. I used it in both the Attitudes and Stances, as well as the Fenghuang. One thing I've not tried is adding it to NC Glop and seeing what that does. I feel it will likely have more mass to it. I have tried some small batches of litter and Elmer's glue just to see, and that will not swell the clay enough to make it a mucky mess. It just solidifies some of the pieces in more of an attached form.

I too have used a ceramic tile piece or 2 in a cab, and even the cheap stuff is beneficial by weight alone.

• PL adhesive is awesome.  It’s my go to for most projects now instead of typical wood glue.
  • Yeah, but it is difficult to sand once it is dry. Need to be careful with outside squeeze out. Inside is fine. Does expand a but and fill gaps, but not as bad as gorilla glue... Gorilla expansion is great, but for regular glue up can be a bit much...
  • https://www.ruralking.com/fine-blasting-abrasive-50lb.html?

I've heard it called steel slag or coal slag.

I've seen some in 5 gallon buckets.  The stuff is cheap and heavy.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • PWRRYD said:
    Holy cow batman it's JasonP!  Where in the wide world of sports have you been Buddy?  Are you building anything cool with those sweet drivers you bought from me?
    Been very busy with some non-audio project lately sadly, looking forward to doing my next build actually (later this year).

Oh yes Craig, I now have all 8 of the 2669 I need for the Excelsior... 
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • JasonP said:
    Oh yes Craig, I now have all 8 of the 2669 I need for the Excelsior... 
    8?!   Wow!  MTMWW?
  • Sorry to derail the thread a bit. I'll just post the current design for it here, its changed a bit from when I talked about the concept at PETT a couple years ago:

Format: SSWW(TM)WWSS (SubWoofTweetMid)

Original plan was 4 sealed 2669 on a side, transitioning to 4 anarchys at about 80hz. Planar Tweet, Undetermined Mid.

New plan is 4 foam backed cardioid 2669 on a side, transitioning to ? subs, Viawave Ribbon Tweet, ScanSpeak 15M/4624G 5" mid.
    D1PP1NPWRRYDani_101kennyk
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."