Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Another SB build

I'm back at working on some speakers now that biking season is coming to an end. We had a great season this year with some pretty awesome after ride social parties sponsored by local businesses. 

So I have had this design idea floating around in my head for a while now - I wanted to make a Tarkus type build but with the budget SB PFC drivers. I have a set of the 5" that I had used in my first Iron Driver build kicking around and a set of the SB19 tweeters we had used in the next ID build. SB also has a 8" PFC driver as well so I picked up a pair of those too. I have started with just building the top part for now. Probably going to put the bottom half on hold for a bit. 

Box is .25cf and tuned to 58hz with a 1.5x4" port in WinISD but looks like it is closer to 53hz according to my measurements. Front baffle is laminated BB with strips of Rosewood for accents. 

I was thinking I should put some support behind the baffle between the two speaker cut outs just for some added strength. Been putting it off for a week or so, so I thought today would be a good day (not working). Low and behold I go down to the shop and find that both baffles have separated down the middle!

So I cut out and glued in a strip of wood today and clamped it up. Might have to fill the cracks a bit before dding some finish.

Took some measurements and did some crossover work - ended up with 2nd order on woofer and 3rd on tweeter. Crossover point ended up around 2700hz. 

Patched together a crossover today and took some measurements with the OmniMic.

jhollanderNicholas_23GowagreywardenPWRRYDD1PP1N4thtry

Comments

• Finished this build off the other week. Pretty happy how they turned out except you can see some blemishes where I filled the cracks on the baffles. I used wood glue and sawdust but it just didn't sand out well. Been listening to them the last week and am pretty happy with how they sound - I adjusted the tweeter padding a bit over the original X-over to bring it down a bit. It was just a bit too bright. 

I got some of these little x-over boards from PE - pretty handy. Also I didn't notice that when I ordered them the price was for a pair so now I got a whole bunch!

Turn2jr@macD1PP1NkennykPWRRYDGowagreywarden4thtryS7910
  • Wow!  These look great.
  • Kick-ass looking speakers! I like using those boards.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Look good! Nice fix for the cracked baffles. What veneer did you use btw? Sapele? Forgive me if you posted it i went back and reread but didnt see it. 
  • D1PP1N said:
    Look good! Nice fix for the cracked baffles. What veneer did you use btw? Sapele? Forgive me if you posted it i went back and reread but didnt see it. 
    Thanks guys! I think the veneer was mahogany....it's been a while since I bought it B)
  • That baffle is just too cool. Really nice job.
  • Gowa said:
    That baffle is just too cool. Really nice job.
    Thanks!