Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Right angle assembly square thingies ...

Ok, I seen these things in pics several times but now I can't find those pics, or what the darn things are called. 

They are red slotted blocks that hold the wood at 90* while the glue is setting.  Something like a right angle assembly square.

What in the wide world of sports are these things called and where can they be found?      

Comments

• Do you mean these?
    Woodpeckers Precision Woodworking Tools BC4-M2X2 Box Clamp-M2-Pair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0062C76QG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_9DJEAbZZN1KCT
  • Kind of pricy honestly. I prefer to make my own like these. 
  • They sell cheap ones at harbor freight.
  • edited February 2018
    dynamo said:
    They sell cheap ones at harbor freight.

Bought two of their 'corner clamp with quick release' for $10.  Got about three uses out of them till one no longer tightens down enough to hold the wood in place.  Not sure how square they were either ... or it could have been the dummy operating them. 

Pretty sure it was the woodpeckers, or something similar, but at that price, I might try that diy first.

Is there a trick to getting good 90* corners all while maintaining enough pressure the glue bonds good?

What do you guys use, and how do you get everything squared up?           
  • I'm using the izzy swan units I linked. Very secure. I've got probably around 40 of them now. Need more lol.
    Smaller enclosures, I miter, including the back. Use 1.5" painters tape. Keeps every thing square 
  • I picked up a pair of these clamping squares from Rockler.

• I have those as well Tom, i like that they are taller so you can use it as a stop as well. Like its like 1.5" tall you can can just push the 90 toward it so it doesn't overhang. Been using dadoes since i got my dadoe set but table saw dadoe stacks are time consuming. 

I also have the larger corner clamps from menards like wolf craft or something. They are usually $26 but got them for $14 each a few years ago. 

Izzy's clamps work nicely as well. I made one but Im too lazy to make more at the moment im too backed up. 
  • Needed to hit the next town over for a Menard's visit, so dropped by Harbor Freight and picked up another pair of Corner Clamps https://www.harborfreight.com/corner-clamp-with-quick-release-38661.html  and a couple small rafter angle squares.  Hopefully that gets me close enough.  Plum forgot to grab a couple more cheap bar clamps. 

Didn't see any of those 'clamping squares' at either place.

Was going to do the diy route but with my luck I'd never get the things square enough to use. 

One of these days I'm going to have the good stuff!  If only I'd been born rich instead of so damn good looking.   :o  
  • If they work for you, then case closed.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Kornbread said:
    Needed to hit the next town over for a Menard's visit, so dropped by Harbor Freight and picked up another pair of Corner Clamps https://www.harborfreight.com/corner-clamp-with-quick-release-38661.html  and a couple small rafter angle squares.
    These are the clamps i use kornbread they work well. Those are priced better than menards. Ill go grab some more. Thanks for the link.