Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Anarchy 5.5in 4ohm

Saw these http://www.diysoundgroup.com/speaker-parts/speaker-components/woofers/anarchy55-4ohm.html and decided to pick up a pair.
Measured with a little mechanical break-in.

............. could you hum a few bars.
Nicholas_23greywarden

Comments

• They are almost too identical to be true.  I've never had two drivers measure that close to each other.
  • edited February 2018
    First time for me. Matched pairs never look this good. Now I wish I bought a quad.
    No, I didn't measure the same speaker twice.  :3
    Nicholas_23
  • Those look like little monsters. Should be a fun build whatever you decide to do with it.  
  • Would like a 2 way, but what tweeter?.............hmmmmm
  • You going small form factor? Ld22 has a small flange, this dx25 is next to the ldw7 looks nice (no measurements but bought it based on JRs recommendations), new sb29 Jeff seems to like. Perhaps wait for the new rs28s to arrive? I think a mtm with those would be awesome. I always liked the tritrix and thise had cheappy 5" woofers!
  • If they can cross at 3K as advertised a small dome would fit, SB19 or the small SB26.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited February 2018
    SB 19 is a thought, have some leftover from ID.
    Or maybe a Beston.
  • On hand drivers are always nice
  • I keep looking at those drivers. Little monsters.  Gonna make a killer build!
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!

• Not Anarchy - but these little guys showed up here yesterday. 
    jhollanderkennykcssaudio1PWRRYDGowa
    I have a signature.
  • Dang, like an iceberg, way more below the cone than you would think.  Just finished reading the specs, impressive.
  • wow, from where JR...?
  • jr@mac said:

Not Anarchy - but these little guys showed up here yesterday. 
    I'll trade you for a pair of Wavecor WF152BD03 or a pair of WF120BD04 ;)
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I picked them up from Meniscus, Ani.

I have a pair of the little Wavecor already, dcibel :)
    I have a signature.
  • Do you have a tweeter in mind to make friends with Motus? I've got a pair of the Motus UH25CT1 at this point I plan to pair th with the WF152
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Viawave GRT145
    I have a signature.
  • The ribbon would have to be significantly padded down. Does it affect the sound signature between low padding and high padding?

•  
    Corrected Le (measured at 1khz).
  • Kenny my apologies for messing up your thread, but one more comment about the motus... they make my drivers look like junk.  I think I've been shamed into cracking open the wallet a bit wider.
  • None needed. JR got my tail wagging too.
  • No Ani, ime, it does not.
    I have a signature.
  • Thanks that's good to know.... now i can load up on the resistors and choke the power outta 'em tweeters....
  • Psycoacoustics (Mark) and I did a design with the 5.25" Motus a couple years ago now. It's a really interesting driver. The upper end shelf allows it to be xoverd 1st order through the xover, and then transitions to 3rd order. Careful tweaking of the knee does help, and it took a weird CR filter to droop the response just right.

Anyway, with the way the rolloff works on the 5.25", we had to xover around 1.8k just to make it work. The TB 25-1743S was able to match the response on the other side, so it worked quite well.

Ani- to your query about resistance...

If you've ever listened to a speaker with 20 awg speaker wires, and then 12 awg wire, the drop in DCR does make them sound a bit more 'open', just as does using larger diameter coil wire gauge- at least in my experience it does/has. With that in mind, I try not to go too small a value across a tweeter or too high in series with it. My limit is 15 ohms in series, and I try not to go below 6 ohms in parallel. Just my 2c...

4thtry
  • I'm looking forward to designing around actual measurements. 
    I have a signature.
  • Or am I wrong, and Wolf has actual measurements on a driver? Wolf? Wanna weigh in? 
    I have a signature.
  • I might have impedances, but I never had the drivers to take fr plots. I've been measuring for a while now, JR. I also have measured completed speakers, that did not have actual fr taken earlier, and they came out flat like I like them to be.
  • So, no actual data on the Motus? I'll share when I get around to them. 
    I have a signature.
  • I likely have Z data if Mark sent it to me.
  • I don't need second or third hand impedance data, but thank you.
    I have a signature.
  • I will be ordering some of these smaller Anarchy drivers at some point.