Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

MAC/DIY in 2018

Let's get a discussion going as to what y'all would like to see in 2018.  Things like realtime chat, podcasts, social media, future DIY events, ETC.  Let's hear it!!
My signature goes here

Comments

• I'd like to see a DIY event that includes more DIY building and measurement demos in addition to listening sessions on completed systems.   You probably wouldn't be able to set up a table saw or router table and start cutting out baffle boards, but there are certainly other less dangerous things that could be done.  Examples would be the Jeff Bagby seminar on PCD held in Kokomo a few years back.  Or the duratex demo done by Bryan a couple years ago.  Maybe we could have an experienced person demo how to do microphone measurements properly.  I certainly know how to screw them up; so maybe we could have someone show us what NOT to do when making measurements.

cssaudio1D1PP1Nani_101kennykgreywardenGowaBryan@MACsquamishdroc
  • Can we upload PDF, zma, and frds yet?
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Most venues and hotels have TV/audio, this could make video demo/instruction possible.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Definately would like to see more design focused materials i think it would inspire more confidence in people to build their own speakers. Ive done a few designs and the process is still fuzzy to me. 
  • I really enjoyed poweride's preamp build.  Personally, I'd like to see more 'simpler' builds like that, which an all thumbs nonelectrical minded person like me 'could' build, affordably, with great results.  Step by step, lots of pictures, and a bill of materials.   
    D1PP1Ngreywardenrjj45
  • edited January 2018
    The ability to create a poll would be good.
    kennyk
  • Organizing Group buys would be great. Ive heard a few people mention wanting to buy Inukes 3000dsp so that would be something i am up for. Im waiting for a coupon for some money off before ordering one. 
  • 4thtry said:

I'd like to see a DIY event that includes more DIY building and measurement demos in addition to listening sessions on completed systems.   You probably wouldn't be able to set up a table saw or router table and start cutting out baffle boards, but there are certainly other less dangerous things that could be done.  Examples would be the Jeff Bagby seminar on PCD held in Kokomo a few years back.  Or the duratex demo done by Bryan a couple years ago.  Maybe we could have an experienced person demo how to do microphone measurements properly.  I certainly know how to screw them up; so maybe we could have someone show us what NOT to do when making measurements.

Sorry for my lack of participation, but I totally agree with you, Bill. Despite my absence I've been in touch with a couple folks regarding value-added presentations at our upcoming shows. The Iowa DIY survey confirmed exactly what you have proposed and we are on it!!   
    My signature goes here
  • D1PP1N said:
    Organizing Group buys would be great. Ive heard a few people mention wanting to buy Inukes 3000dsp so that would be something i am up for. Im waiting for a coupon for some money off before ordering one. 
    Funny you mention that, but we are in talks with vendors about MAC discounts.  It's not with Behringer (yet) but we've got some other negotiations in the works.  

rjj45jhollanderTurn2S7910kennyk4thtry
    My signature goes here
  • Its funny we all keep building stuff but none of us needs a new set of speakers. Would be nice to save a bit if we are buying to build things just to bring to an event. 
    greywarden
  • It would be great to have an indicator of where the members reside. Maybe a flag or something.
    cssaudio1MikeJennens
  • Maybe a measurement thread. A depository of graphs, T/S, FRD and ZMA files.......etc. Start where Zaph left off.
  • I like Gowa's idea.  Maybe add city/town since Canada, USA, and Mexico are so huge!
    kennykSilver1omoMikeJennens
  •  I second the measurements things.... but I think there is already a category for it?
  • Can we upload PDF, zma, and frds yet?
    That is the first thing on my MAC TODO list, and I'm starting to cross it off now. It won't be in a instant though, because I have to setup a new forum and start installing plugins to see what breaks the functionality.
    jhollanderPWRRYDkennyk4thtryBryan@MACgreywarden
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Update to me post just above: I have installed a test forum with a newer version of vanilla and uploads are working fine. Almost everything works in this new version of the software except the theme. So expect to show up one day with a much different looking forum here, but more functional.
    jhollandercssaudio1isaeagle4031MartyHPWRRYDS79104thtrysquamishdrocBryan@MACgreywardenand 3 others.
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • So the date is set, I have some time off this weekend and that will be the perfect time to update the forum. On Sunday morning (EST) 4/8/18 I'll take the forum down for the upgrade and it will be back up some hours afterwards. Just an FYI.
    ThumperTomPWRRYDjhollandercssaudio1D1PP1NS79104thtry
  • Thank you Jason!
  • Good luck with the upgrade.

Ron
  • Just remember what happened when PETT did their upgrade    :o :s :'(
    Bryan@MAC
  • Jason is smarter than those jags.
    rjj454thtryBryan@MACD1PP1Nkennyk
  • jeez don't jinks the whole thing...
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Sorry  :#
  • We are NOT PETT. 
    rjj45Gowakennyk
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    We are NOT PETT. 
    Although we do pett the sweaty things.
  • edited April 2018
    Forum upgrade complete. A couple bugs to iron out, like the popular tags are listed twice in the sidebar, but nothing major. Oh yea, and uploads are still broke... so its something particular to our database or configuration. Working on it. Eventually I'll also start working on a custom theme too.
    jr@macD1PP1Njhollanderkennyk4thtry
  • Cool.  Is there a way to change the appearance to slate in this new upgrade?  My eyes have a hard time with the lighting on computers, LED lights, and florescent as well.
    Thanks 
    Gowadcibelkennyk
  • Cool.  Is there a way to change the appearance to slate in this new upgrade?  My eyes have a hard time with the lighting on computers, LED lights, and florescent as well.
    Thanks 
    Agree, any colour but white, please. I liked the dark scheme of the "old" forum, very easy on the eyes.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Holy $hit Batman! I just fall off the radar for a while and I'm back in an alternative universe. The conspiracy theorists :# were right all along.......... :#
    R-CarpenterTurn2S79104thtry
  • dark scheme please! I am blind!!!