Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

DIY - but not speakers

Comments

• The truth of owning a classic:

kennykgreywarden
    I have a signature.
  • Overhauled mill about ready to drop in:

Been punched 30 over, so I asked the kid what size engine is going to be in the truck, and then told her "about tree-fiddy". Been waiting a long time to use that one lol.

kennykR-CarpentergreywardenS79104thtry
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    Putting together an "ASAP" mechanical punch-list at the moment. 

1. The drivers side door likes to surprise me by opening at inopportune times. Exhilarating, but ultimately dangerous. - This was actually due to my fatass, my knee was hitting the opener.

2. With the switch to the HEI ignition, I suspect the factory gap on the plugs is inadequate. Replaced with hotter plugs based on a lot of research

3. The gas is old and moldy. This combined with the spark is contributing to some doggy behavior. Ran three tanks of premium through it and it cleaned everything right up

4. Speedometer reads very slow - with the transmission swap I expected this. With my GPS it shows 43mph actual and speedo shows 35mph. 

5. Rear end is flolloping all over the place - no sway bar installed. Rebuilt suspension

6. Front end is flolloping all over the place - similar story. Entire suspension needs overhauled/upgraded. Rebuilt suspension

7. Tires/wheels mounted. Done

8. Tranny lines leaking at the radiator. Done

9. Ugly one - frost plug hidden behind drivers side motor mount is leaking. Yuck. Replaced all frost plugs because motor was out anyways

10. Heater motor non-functional. Also replaced heater core at the same time

11. Brake fluid reservoir leaking - probably a simple gasket swap as it is coming from under the lid. No solution yet

12. The steering column has some slop in the reverse location - have to finagle it a bit to get it to work right. Not sure if this a rebuild or replace scenario, however. Was actually a loose bolt on the linkage - all better now 
    Busy summer/fall on the old girl!
    kennykgreywardenS7910
    I have a signature.
  • Looking good !

kennyk
  • Absolutely gorgeous truck JR, very well done!
    kennykjr@mac
  • Thanks Dynamo, it is a sweet old ride. 
    I have a signature.

• Test fit tonight - getting there! 
    kennykgreywardenThumperTomBryan@MAC4thtryS7910
    I have a signature.
  • Nice chrome headers! My son (the truck fanatic in the family) was drooling over the paint job in your sunset shots.
    jr@mac

• Picked it up from the exhaust shop today, and to top it off (no pun intended) my new air cleaner was delivered today, as well. Perfect match for the valve covers. This is the vintage look I was shooting for. 

Little bit of tuning on the carb yet - but runs great otherwise. Just a flat spot at certain spots in the RPM range. Idle is absolutely smooth, not a visible shake or shimmy. WOT it comes out of it, but I think the pump is not set just right. I am not a carb tuner guy, so will probably spend a lot of time tweaking it eventually. 

I am probably going to spend a few hours from time to time dressing the rest of the engine compartment - no braided hose covers etc, just cleaning it up, painting what needs painted etc. 

I just poured a snifter of Lagavulin 16 year old to celebrate. My baby is home. 
    PWRRYDkennykS7910
    I have a signature.
  • Looking great JR!  Sometimes part throttle accel issues are lack of timing advance.  Does your dizzy have mechanical and vacuum advance?
  • Looking good. Is it all done?
  • ani_101 said:
    Looking good. Is it all done?
    These things are never done :-)
    kennyk
    I have a signature.
  • Craig - it is your run of the mill GM hei ignition. Vac advance for sure. Maybe I need to go a bit more advanced on timing. Damn thing starts and runs so smooth, though. 
    I have a signature.
  • GM style, I should add. It is an aftermarket unit. 
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    ani_101 said:
    Looking good. Is it all done?
    These things are never done :-)
    So true!
  • Updates on my baby!

Retrosound package delivered today.

Also - FI Tech efi will be here soon. Get rid of carburettor. Pain in my fucking ass. 

Correct grill assembly will be here this week, as well. As much as I actually prefer the '69 grill style - it bugs me no end it is incorrect. This is a 72, dammit. 

Anyways - the old girl will be pretty fleshed out for DDIY. Come on out and check her over!
    S7910kennykgreywarden
    I have a signature.
  • Sweet JR!
    jr@mac
  • Bring it to Iowa too!

• Gotta love efi!

Is that 4x10 a dvc woofer then?
  • Yessir it sure is. 

I have a signature.
  • Nice! That seems much better than two little 3” coaxes on a board cut to fit the opening. I didn’t know they made a nice replacement stereo conversion dash 4x10 like that.
  • It is pretty slick! Gonna be a great summer.
    I have a signature.
  • Oh myyyy....

PWRRYDD1PP1NNicholas_23jhollanderS79104thtrysquamishdroc
    I have a signature.
  • Oh yes that’s very nice!
  • How are you handling the fuel pump/ pressure?
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • With a high pressure fuel pump. It mounts in the frame rail.
    I have a signature.
  • Sounds easier than I thought. I was thinking you needed a return line and pressure relief valve.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Return line is needed. 
    I have a signature.

• Correct grill has arrived.
    Nicholas_23S7910kennyk
    I have a signature.