Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

USB DAC...

2»

Comments

• I'll see if it really needs to be replaced when I get it. He might not pushed it all the way in or something.

• Nick gave me a Little Bear buffer a few years ago, it is now proudly on display at work - so I replaced it with this little guy and rolled some NOS GE toobz in it out of the box. That seemed to be the consensus on Amazon, anyways, for "out of the box" tweaks. 

Obligatory night time shot (cell phones are for shit, though)

PWRRYDgreywarden
    I have a signature.
  • IMO Thumbs down...  

All through hole components, many parts installed crooked

Single ended power supply

Output power ratings at 10% THD

Nice looking case however.
  • edited January 2018
    PWRRYD said:
    IMO Thumbs down...  

All through hole components, many parts installed crooked

Single ended power supply

Output power ratings at 10% THD

Nice looking case however.
    The bar is apparently pretty high for a $82 power amp...Through hole fine, slightly crooked fine, power rating pulled from the datasheet for the IC used, at this price don't expect the manufacturer to have tested it with an AP.

What is concerning is a power amp with an internal heatsink and some warm output inductors with no where for the heat to go, it is an unventilated case. Otherwise I'd say it looks well worth the $82 asking price.

It would make more sense to put thermal pads on the inductors (the pads in the Amazon photo look to be of the insulating variety), and use aluminum bar stock to couple the amp IC to the case, making the entire case of the amp the heatsink. At last that would be somewhat effective at shedding heat, even though internal components would still be warmed by the lack of ventilation.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • edited February 2018
    I originally bought the DAC-X6 to use in conjunction with my iphone at work. But I was curious how it sounded as just a dac, so I took it home. It sounds great AND it has much higher output than my Scarlet 2i2, so I decided I needed another one. I just got another for my birthday - it looks a little different. More of a gloss finish and they changed the power supply. Can't comment on any sonic differences yet - I forgot to grab a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter.
    jr@macSilver1omogreywardenThumperTom