Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Rival Acoustics

Comments

• MartyH said:
    Beginning to think that using my quad set of Rival 7" in an MTM would be a better application of their capabilities.  A simple MLTL and a sweet tweeter and it should model in the 30's with ease.  By looking at the measurements posted here and on FB it's apparent that Rival has a versatile driver in their lineup!

Rival has some elite level drivers that are very cool looking with beefy motors, different frames and custom cones. Sadly, those are not available outside their regular OEM customer base.

RAD presently has access to their ‘J’ series which are the ‘P’, CP’, PV, K etc. They are changing their Kevlar driver (K) and should be available to RAD before spring. Rival also has two real nice woven carbon drivers that RAD is hoping to add to inventory.
    kennykPWRRYDrjj45
  • Wolf said:
    Enormities, volume 2!?
    Probably not Junior, but maybe something along the line of the old Eros II's from back in the early 2000's.  I've always loved that Scan Speak 2905/9700 (versus the original 9500) as it easily crosses at 2k and would match well in a simple MTM or maybe a 2.5 MMT.  Something to ponder.
  • edited January 2018
    Gowa said:
    If anyone's interested, RAD just got some more CP drivers that are on a blow-out sale.
    https://rhythmaudiodesign.com/collections/clearance
    Well shit, if I had known they were coming back I probably have waited, but I bought a pair of WF152BD03 on sale at CAD$40ea instead.

[edit: looks like the new batch is already sold out, guess I didn't miss anything afterall ]
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • edited January 2018
    Ya those things sell out pretty quick. but we'll be picking up some more tomorrow. I don't think there are many left. The 'P' will be going on sale this weekend. So, keep an eye out for that one.
  • Gowa said:
    Ya those things sell out pretty quick. but we'll be picking up some more tomorrow. I don't think there are many left. The 'P' will be going on sale this weekend. So, keep an eye out for that one.
    Got some this morning.  Now what tweeter to use... I've got an AMT3-4 if it will reach up that high.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I think the AMT3-4 may work just fine. Once baffle step is taken into account, you have enough sensitivity from the AMT3-4 down to at least 2.2kHz.
  • Typo, I have the AMT2-4.  How smooth are the CPs up high? 4K?
  • I love the things that show up when you search google.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dayton-Audio-AMT2-4-Air-Motion-Transformer-Tweeter-4-Ohm/180577473

I would hope that the AMT2-4 would be good to at least 3kHz or even less, provided the distortion is still ok there since it is a smaller AMT. I personally wouldn't want to crossover above 3kHz with a midwoofer of that size even if the response was ruler flat, simply due to the narrow directivity (beaming), leading to a speaker that may be difficult to create that seamless interaction between mid and tweet, and with a smaller sweet spot.

• I used the 2-4 to about 3.3k with a 4th order electrical. Distortion started to rise pretty quickly at 2k iirc. 
  • I was just informed that we only have 2 left.
    Solen is still running a great tweeter sale.https://solen.ca/products/on-sale/

• dcibel said:

I would hope that the AMT2-4 would be good to at least 3kHz or even less, provided the distortion is still ok there since it is a smaller AMT. I personally wouldn't want to crossover above 3kHz with a midwoofer of that size even if the response was ruler flat, simply due to the narrow directivity (beaming), leading to a speaker that may be difficult to create that seamless interaction between mid and tweet, and with a smaller sweet spot.

I've had good results with large format tweeters crossing to mid-woofers up high.  I surmise that it's due to the tweeter's falling off axis response matching the mid-woofer's narrowing response.

Also note we're not talking about head in the vise narrowing directivity, a 6 inch piston, -6 dB angle is still over 60 degrees at 4K.

• Just received a package from RAD, very nice - thank you.
    I have a signature.
  •  Gowa said:
    I was just informed that we only have 2 left.
    Solen is still running a great tweeter sale.https://solen.ca/products/on-sale/

I've got some Wavecor tweeters from Solen, but if Wolf is using them I have to do something else :)

I assume the CP is on clearance because it will be discontinued?

• edited January 2018
    I'm told that they are not discontinuing the model but there will be changes in the coatings. The CP has three different layers and each layer coating is different. It looks like they have reformulated the coatings and will be using two layers on the new ones. I don't know yet if it will be still called CP or some new designation.
  • May try a TL tweeter.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • jr@mac said:
    Just received a package from RAD, very nice - thank you.

You lucky dawg....  :)
  • kennyk said:
    May try a TL tweeter.

Get them while you still can! A few weeks ago, TLabs basically closed its doors, according to Cristian Nedelcu himself.
  • kennyk said:
    May try a TL tweeter.
    Out of business if you read Pete S's last post on PETT
  • TL tweeters have been on sale at Solen for quite some time. Get them while you still can!
  • Db , SHHHHHHH ! Im waiting for the eagle to shit on friday . I hope the last two Im interested in are still there !
  • jr@mac said:
    Just received a package from RAD, very nice - thank you.
    You won the Cap Pack? NICE!
  • I did - pretty sweet bonus, actually. Also got a bag of resistors. I am a sucker for collecting crossover components.

Nice looking caps, too. Ill post a pic in a bit.
    jhollander
    I have a signature.

• I have been shopping for caps lately, this was a very welcome surprise. Thank you, again, RAD - you guys rock.
    PWRRYDjhollanderkennykR-Carpenter
    I have a signature.
  • edited January 2018
    Congrats!
    For some strange reason we sell more of those to Europeans than Canadians or Americans.
  • Nice score JR.  I like collecting round shiny things and can't seem to pass up a deal x-o parts
    jr@mac
  • Well if there's anybody certain to use 30 crossover parts in the next 24 hours it's JR!  Now go buy the Maynard Collection!
    jr@macPWRRYD
  • Just measured......

jr@mac
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • edited January 2018
    I got a sneak peek at their 8'' Alu/Ceramic drivers today and asked if I could take a picture. The picture doesn't do it justice. The cone is a warm black and the frame is a little different that the others. Just to confuse me even more, they have 3 versions of these drivers. No specs yet, but here's a boo.

kennyk
  • Those a pretty ok looking, I like the the look of the inverted dust cap better. Looks like a Klipsch but without being ugly orange.