Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Rival Acoustics

Comments

• Ben - Yes, my four are the R176-CP-08 versions. Should have stated that.
  • I have a signature.
  • dcibel said:
    Everything about these photos says Wavecor to me. The motor looks exactly like Wavecor balanced drive, and even the label on the motor, you could literally replace the Rival logo with Wavecor. This is good news, as the retail cost a Wavecor WF182 is a lot more than the sale price of these Rival units.

I've been thinking of what to build with my pair of Motus tweeters. Realistically I want to use the nice underhung Motus woofers, but they carry a pretty high price tag, or do I cave in and buy a pair of the Rival drivers at the current sale price? Decisions, decisions...

Those WF120's are nice drivers but pricey. ($102.00) Meniscus is supposed to be the distributor for Wavecor but never seems to have any woofers in stock. (weird)
  • Gowa , are you tied in with this brand? Aside from being up north?
  • I ordered a quad of the R176-CP-08 woofers and they arrived here on Saturday.  Very nice looking drivers and I can't wait to measure them, but as soon as I cut the packaging tape and opened up the box flaps I was hit in the face with the strongest, nastiest smelling cigarette smoke smell!!!  I thought for sure that I would find an ashtray full of butts in there somewhere.  LOL  I guess with our smoking laws here I have become resensitized to that...  ;)
  • FWIW that was not a slam on people who smoke because I use to smoke too.  I was just surprised!
  • I run the RAD store with some friends. It is derived from a small business I had many years ago. The goal of this store is to get quality products at affordable prices, truly dedicated to DIY’ers. We are doing our best, but it is quite difficult to get the price points where we want them to be. Because we are the distributor for Rival, (for now) we are not allowed to sell competing products.

For the past year, we have been clearing out their NLA products at scary low prices and market testing others. We will not carry anything that is not popular and not at the price point we want, period. We want people to build. So, our profit margin is extremely low. We try to make enough money just to keep everything going and take advantage of product releases that will benefit DIY’ers.

Rival has a number of woofer series that we are trying to get, but it is all about numbers. Many of their woofers have a high MOQ that is unobtainable for us at this time. We are working on ways to solve this.

We also manage our store and like to have a little fun. Last year we had some excellent give-aways. Not contests, which I don’t like. Some people received drivers and some received Polar Cap Packs. We just put names in a box and pick a name to receive whatever we are giving away. Sometimes, we put something extra in a shipment, just for fun.

As I said before, we want people to build and enjoy doing it. Isn’t that what it’s all about?

We will be posting updates from time to time on a ‘NEWS’ page and look forward to comments and suggestions. Customer input is important. It’s allot of work to organize all of this, so patience is greatly appreciated.
    PWRRYDkennykgreywarden
  • I think Rival will make a lot of appearances this coming year, should generate a lot of buzz. 

I got an email from Sean today - excited!
    I have a signature.
  • I thought the timely order confirmation email and shipment were awesome!  Absolutely zero complaints.  I wish your company well and will purchase from you guys whenever the need arises.  Keep up the great work Gowa!
  • For everyone that attended Dakota DIY last spring, Curt's entry was based on a Rival Kevlar woofer and a Bozhen CQ76 ribbon. I was quite impressed with both drivers. The CQ76 is a hybrid ribbon design that'll cross comfortably at 2K and possibly below.

Jim

• edited January 2018
    Bozhen has guaranteed me that CQ76 will cross at 1.5k. Curt designed that speaker for me. It is called HELIOS. I love them.They use Rival's fiberglass sandwich drivers. I'll have them painted this spring.
    dcibeljhollandergreywardenPWRRYD
  • Yes Curt's speakers were very good!  I had no idea who or what Rival Acoustics was back then.  I thought the yellow Kevlar cone material looked nice but if I remember correctly they had shiny aluminum dust caps (yes/no?) that I didn't find very attractive.
  • The R176-GFSY woofers are fiberglass sandwich. The ones I have are natural aluminum dustcaps because that's all I could get at the time. I have seen them with black aluminum dustcaps as well. Rival also has a black version of these drivers called R176-GFSB-08.
  • Gowa said:
    Bozhen has guaranteed me that CQ76 will cross at 1.5k. Curt designed that speaker for me. It is called HELIOS. I love them.They use Rival's fiberglass sandwich drivers. I'll have them painted this spring.

So are you a distributor for Bozhen too?

Jim
  • edited January 2018
    No, but I was thinking about it. I think Rick at Selah audio sells them. I'm looking forward to the Viawave reviews. That looks like a very interesting tweeter.
  • Gowa said:
    No, but I was thinking about it. I think Rick at Selah audio sells them. I'm looking forward to the Viawave reviews. That looks like a very interesting tweeter.

I think Rick buys them for his own use. There are very few ribbons that will cross cleanly at 2K and below. The few that are out there cost huge money by my standards. I think its an impressive ribbon with very low distortion that would be nice to availability at a US retail outlet.

I'm in love with the Aurum Cantus AST2560 we used in the Bordeaux so I'm not in the market but if I was, the CQ76 would be at the top of the list as a candidate.

Jim
  • You can purchase them from Rick. As I understand it, they are more of a voice coil driver with a pseudo-ribbon as the output diaphragm. Quite a different animal they are, and Bozhen's woofers are also VERY different than what you see typically. I'd like to use the Bozhen CQ76 at some point as well.
  • Yes, the CQ76 is a beautiful ribbon 
  • edited January 2018
    PWRRYD said:
    I ordered a quad of the R176-CP-08 woofers and they arrived here on Saturday.  Very nice looking drivers and I can't wait to measure them, but as soon as I cut the packaging tape and opened up the box flaps I was hit in the face with the strongest, nastiest smelling cigarette smoke smell!!!  I thought for sure that I would find an ashtray full of butts in there somewhere.  LOL  I guess with our smoking laws here I have become resensitized to that...  ;)
    We get the drivers in bulk and they are packaged by a small local fulfillment service. I'll speak to them about smoke odor. I'm trying not to complain too much right now, at least until I get the relationship a bit solidified. I've had allot of drivers go through here without any odor. Maybe I'm not as sensitive to it. Keep in mind that as long as the drivers are not used, they can be returned. 
    Policy Here
    Send an email through the store contact.

• Some drivers have a smell when new. The PT2 was famous for that smoky new smell. It could be the coating on the cones? Just spitballing...
  • Hi Gowa.  I just checked my email and I received a very nice message from Sean regarding my comment here about the smoke smell.  I plan to reply to him directly that it is not a big deal.  It really isn't.  I hope nobody reads my comment above and is steared away from buying from you guys.  The service was great and I am very satisfied with the drivers.
  • Maybe others have seen this, but it was news to me:  The Rhythm Audio Design website has a "Speaker Designers Extraordinaire" PAGE.  They are Curt Campbell, Paul Kittinger, Dennis Murphy and Ben Shaffer.  Congrats to all of you, you have done a lot for the DIY community. 

Also - The Helios speakers are shown on the DIY Speaker Designs PAGE, but no plans are available yet.  Hopefully the plans will show up in the near future.  
    rjj45
  • I doubt that the Helios will be available. RAD will be moving to a similar design with different Rival woofers.
  • Maybe others have seen this, but it was news to me:  The Rhythm Audio Design website has a "Speaker Designers Extraordinaire" PAGE.  They are Curt Campbell, Paul Kittinger, Dennis Murphy and Ben Shaffer.  Congrats to all of you, you have done a lot for the DIY community. 

Also - The Helios speakers are shown on the DIY Speaker Designs PAGE, but no plans are available yet.  Hopefully the plans will show up in the near future.  

Yes, it is very cool to have these guys designing kits for RAD. Now that we have secured the distribution rights to Rival, I'm hoping others will join in with some nice builds using Rival drivers. Wolf is working on the FENRIR 2-way which uses the R176-P-08 and the Wavecor 22 mm tweeter which I really like. Wolf was trying to meet a date but the Big Freeze changed that. :)

I’m hoping an MTM with Rivals will appear soon.
  • Yep- still a work in progress....

It just got cold too quick, and I have not been able to get back to it or really anything else that requires garage time.

• Beginning to think that using my quad set of Rival 7" in an MTM would be a better application of their capabilities.  A simple MLTL and a sweet tweeter and it should model in the 30's with ease.  By looking at the measurements posted here and on FB it's apparent that Rival has a versatile driver in their lineup!
  • What tweeter are you considering Marty?
  • If anyone's interested, RAD just got some more CP drivers that are on a blow-out sale.
    https://rhythmaudiodesign.com/collections/clearance