Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

3 way driver match-up opinions

I'm thinking about building a 3-way floor standing tower speaker and wanted to get opinions on my proposed drivers I'm thinking about.

Tweeter = Hipuphon OW1
Mid-range = Scan-Speak 15W/4524T02 (Limited Edition model; Fiberglass cone, Titanium VC former, copper cap and aluminum ring 5.2mm X-max)
Woofer = SB Acoustics SB29NRX75-6

I'm thinking crossover points at 200 Hz & 2.5 kHz. I would place the woofer center-line about 12 inches from the floor to capture some of the floor gain. The enclosure would have tapered sides; wide at the bottom and narrow at the top to improving imaging of the Tweeter and mid-range.the Crossover at 200 Hz would be a MiniDSP and the Crossover at 2.5 kHz would be Passive - So two amplifiers needed per speaker.

So what do we think?

Comments

• The mid looks more like a woofer with some work to get to 2.5KHz

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • The mid looks more like a woofer with some work to get to 2.5KHz

There is quite a bit of analysis of this driver on other forums that agrees with this, as well as other concerns. Probably best to explore other mid options.
  • I just ordered a pair of 15W/4524T02 @ $55 each. I'll measure them and see what I get; I wanted to hear what fiberglass sounds like anyway. The drivers won't go to waste!
  • The SB29 woofer is a real joy and an absolute beast. And it will easily play higher than 200Hz. I crossed mine at about 350 and I think it will go to 500. 
  • The SB29 woofer is a real joy and an absolute beast. And it will easily play higher than 200Hz. I crossed mine at about 350 and I think it will go to 500. 
    I couldn't agree with you more, Chuck.  That is one of the sweetest sounding woofers for the bottom of a three-way that I've ever heard.

Dan
  • If the Scan-Speak 15W/4524T-02 doesn't workout for the midrange I can consider other options.
    Like....
    Dayton Audio RS150P
    SB Acoustic SB15NRXC-30
    Tang Band W5-1685
    Peerless NE149W
    Aurum Cantus AC120/50CK
    Satori MW13P or MR13P-4

Shawn
  • I'll put in a strong vote for the MW13P.  We use it in our Model P215 kit and were VERY impressed.  Extremely low distortion even into solid bass territory, which is shocking for a true 5.25" driver.  The MR13P would probably be even better for your application, though I've never heard it, so I can't vouch for it directly.  

Dan
  • How low can the MW13P will play with low distortion? Can it be considered for side mounted woofer XO typically around 150hz, or is it more comfortable around 300?
  • ani_101 said:
    How low can the MW13P will play with low distortion? Can it be considered for side mounted woofer XO typically around 150hz, or is it more comfortable around 300?

You could do that, but not sure why you would want/need to. The MW13P will play cleanly down to tuning frequency at an reasonable level. Even pushed hard, it doesn't have significant audible issues. Your baffle can be as slim as 6.25" with one facing forward. If you are going side mounted as a woofer only, I'd go with a larger woofer though, since the cabinet depth is usually less of a concern for most people than the width.

Or am I misunderstanding you and you are wanting to cross it to a side mounted woofer? If that is the case, then there is no need to worry about the crossover frequency on MW13P. The MR13P might be a different story. I don't know where it would be comfortable.

• MW13P as mid, xo to a bigger side mounted woofer. Though, the question might be more relevant for the MR13P which is the dedicated midrange. 
  • Found the kit, but don't know the box volume.
  • Here's a FR and distortion graph of the MW13P-4.
    And MW16P-8

............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Man there is going to be like 5-10 diy designs with this sb 10" woofer out soon. 
    PWRRYD