Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Steak!

Comments

• Not sure what top cab chuckeye is but it was a huge chunk of meat for $11 so i will try it. Midnight cooking with dippin! 
    kennyk
  • Hmmm, after cooking this for a while it is kinda weird. Soft and spongy, might need a backup plan for food. Gonna tjrow it in the oven im not sure if it will help but its too thick to get through it!
    kennyk
  • edited October 2017
    Non-stick pan is not a good idea for searing. You will ruin both, steak and pan.
    If you don't have high BTU stove, this is the second best choice for steaks after cast iron.
    https://www.amazon.com/Matfer-Bourgeat-062005-Frying-8-Inch/dp/B000KENOTK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1507119099&sr=8-8&keywords=blue+steel+pan

• Certified Angus Beef. CAB. Marketing term. 

A true chuck eye steak is next door to the ribeyes (but slightly inferior), but that looks to be a chuck roast - good for grinding or slow cooking and making shredded beef. 
    R-Carpenter
    I have a signature.
  • Yeh it didnt taste that great. I cut it up and kept it for my greyhound. I ordered a cast iron pan that should be here friday so i wont keep using that pan. 
  • Do u know how to season cast iron?
  • Nope, i think it mentioned preseasoned but i dont know what that is. 
  • edited October 2017
    So basically seasoning on the cast iron or steel pan is a layer of polymerized cooking oil. It looks black and satin then the pan is cold. Cast Iron develops this layer after either a period of proper use or through seasoning procedure. Then brand new, even "pre-seasoned", stuff will tend to stick to it. The more you use your cast iron pan, better it becomes.
    There are numerous videos on youtube on how to season.
    Important point she makes, wipe almost all the oil off prior to seasoning in the oven.
    Also, it will produce ALOT of smoke. Turn off your smoke detector.

This is a good basic video.
    You don't need to scrub new pan with steel wool.
    You can use dish detergent to wash the pan after use.
    I prefer to dry the pan with the towels after use and heating it a bit on the stove.
    I use this to clean off sticky bits https://www.amazon.com/Blisstime-Cleaner-Stainless-Chainmail-Scrubber/dp/B00N7DCCEO/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1507139336&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=lodge+cast+iron+chainmail
    Never leave cast iron wet. It will rust.
    While starting to cook with it, always make sure the pan is hot. Especially if searing steak.
    JR recommended inexpensive infrared thermometer a while ago. I have one and it's very helpful.

kennykNicholas_23
  • Not steak but pork. Will be in the fridge until early morning.Im glad you posted the question btw 
    Don't know if it has been mentioned but here in MO we have pork steaks. I know a lot of out of staters have never heard of them.
    kennykJasonPThumperTom
  • Love pork, but what about lamb......goat.......
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • My wife sometimes makes ham steaks.
    kennyk
  • We cross cut pork butts (shoulders) and sell them as steaks around here, too. 
    ThumperTomkennyk
    I have a signature.
  • edited October 2017
    kennyk said:
    Love pork, but what about lamb......goat.......

To 155F inside so medium to rear.
    Seared on the pan and finished at 400F in the oven.

JasonPkennykNicholas_23

• This how my cast iron looks after cleaning.
    D1PP1NJasonPkennykNicholas_23
  • Roman - did you trim that lamb rack yourself or buy them already trimmed?  That looks awesome.
    My signature goes here
  • I got whole rack in Costco. Runs about $14. It's mostly trimmed but I do additional trimming, depending on the dish.
    kennyk
  • I use the chain mail for cleaning in hot water, then onto the stove top to heat and dry out, then put in some crisco to melt and wipe it out with a paper towel. Nothing sticks and I agree, its the best surface to cook on. However , hi carbon steel, like woks are made from, is very similar to cast iron in cooking and use, and only weighs a fraction as much. I like it also. I clean it and prepare it the same as cast iron. 

• Most of this pile, along with a mess of smoked/shredded chicken, will be making the trip to Grinnell with me this Friday.

If ya'll are interested, that is. I could probably pick up some buns and a variety of sauces when I get to town. 
    JasonPD1PP1NPWRRYDkennykR-Carpenter
    I have a signature.
  • That looks amazing JR, can't wait!
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."

• Slow roasted pork ribs. One with addition of BBQ and quick broil.
    Also, backed chicken on the bad of onions, garlic and potatoes.
    D1PP1Nkennyk
  • I tried to cook a rump roast in the oven last Saturday.  It turned out very flavorful but was on the tough side.
    D1PP1N
  • Botched a tenderloin last night lol. Decent flavor but the texture was odd. Tapped out and didnt finish it. 

• Bone-in ribeye, aged. 
    Nicholas_23kennykR-Carpenter
    I have a signature.

• On the way...
    D1PP1Nkennyk
    I have a signature.
  • Nice dark color. How long was it aged for?
  • Four weeks after I got them home, probably a week before that. 
    I have a signature.
  • A little dinner.
    JasonPD1PP1Njr@macPWRRYDR-CarpenterGowa
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Those look like cattle bones