Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

The demise of the RS28

Anyone else scoop up a pair or two of the RS28F before they too go NLA?  Looks like PE only has 16 left in stock.

Comments

• I would bet dollars to donuts that new DX25 variant from Tymphany will perform as well or better, for less money. Plus it is better looking. 

Looking at the charts, it is obvious the chamber is well designed (are you paying attention Morel?), very low Fs, a proven dome design, aluminum faceplate, more than likely has a very healthy dose of copper in the motor (the impedance is almost ruler flat to 20k or greater), and higher sensitivity than the RS tweeters. 

I, for one, do not worry about the RS tweeter being gone <span>:bleep_bloop:</span>

That being said, lot of designs will be defunct. Maybe it will spur a new generation of designs, but I rather suspect it will actually result in a million people bugging original designers for substitutes. Personally, I am looking forward to the end of the Continuum cult.
    S7910Face
    I have a signature.
  • I've only heard the Continuum once.  It was Maynard's TL version at Iowa.  I thought it was a very nice sounding speaker.
    Wolf
  • Its fine, but... always nice when people roll their own. 
    R-Carpenter
    I have a signature.
  • I'm enjoying playing with the XT25TG30.  I look forward to getting my hands on the DX25BG60 and the DA25BG08.  I used the newer DX20 an really liked the sound.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • How low did you take that DX20 ? Price looks right for a budget build . Thanks
  • Nicholas_23
  • Oh yeah , duh. I remember this build now. Thanks for the link
  • To the RS28, I passed on them. Solid tweeter, just not my personal preference. RIP RS28

That new Tymphany offering looks damn sexy. Must. Resist. Buying.    .... oh who am I kidding.
  • Which DC25, the double magnet ones? I want to try that for the silk dome and the sb26stac for the all dome, though the SB is close to price of the RS28A
  • Sorry, wrong tweet, SB26ADC, though the STAC soft dome is not bad either.
  • But haven't used either if these... They are in the "list" not yet in the "stash"

• I'm enjoying playing with the XT25TG30.  
    The enjoyment is over...I just don't like it crossed at 1,300 in my horn.  

I need to check the distortion as Zaph said it's high below 2,500 (I think).
  • Most over rated tweeter I've owned or listened to.
    Mzisserson
  • I tend to agree that the praise might not match the performance. I still believe the new DX25 variant from Tymphany will be a game changer in the dome arena. I should have my pair in several weeks, and I will do a teardown and some large-ish baffle measurements. 
    I have a signature.
  • Face, were you commenting on the XT25TG30 or the RS28?
  • PWRRYD said:
    Face, were you commenting on the XT25TG30 or the RS28?
    Both versions of the RS28.
  • Never used a RS28........can't miss it...............thank the gods!
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • I used RS28 in commercial installations. It's very robust. Never used it for home fi.
  • The RS28A is a gem of a metal dome in my opinion, once they got past the consistency issues it was all good there. I kind of hope Usher has a metal dome (and no, screw you Be) planned for the future and just cut out the middle-man Dayton.
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • I like the rs28a but believe for the price the seas aluminum domes are better. I have always liked the 27TBFCG more but I am not sure it will cross as low. I was thinking about trying to sub them in for the continuum just to see what happens and to give others a chance to still build them.

• I'm enjoying playing with the XT25TG30.  
    The enjoyment is over...I just don't like it crossed at 1,300 in my horn.  

I need to check the distortion as Zaph said it's high below 2,500 (I think).
        The xt25tg30-4 is the one I used on the not a Khanspire/Statement bastardization along with the new rs225p-8a and rs150p-8a.  Currently it's crossed pretty steep @2600, it seems happier there than the 1600 it started at.            

• A lot of designs won't be able to be built since the RS28 is gone, but it's not like there's a shortage of good tweeters out there so I'm not bothered.

I really look forward to hearing the new Tymphany DA25BG08. Up here in Canada it's incredibly cheap, only CAD$22.50
    kennyk
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I ended up flattening the XT25 response and paying a bit more attention to the bump at 11K with a small inductor.  I like what I'm hearing, but it does not have the detail like a RS28A.
  • The RS28a was based on the 9970 Usher tweeter, FWIW, and that was an aluminum metal dome. They were not available to us DIYers, but Shawn found a pair at a Tent Sale in an Usher box at one point. I'm betting that was the initial sample that started PE down that line.

I really like the RS28A, and really am not a fan of the RS28F. I still have 2 A pair from a production run around 2005 that I've yet to use.

I like the TBFC more than I used to, and the best I've heard it was in John Marsh's Modula MTM, IIRC, built by Ed Lafontaine; but it has a 'splashier' topend than the RS28A does, meaning not quite as refined, IMO. I also know that Jeff tried the TDFC in one of the earlier projects emulating the LS3/5A, and ultimately did not use it in the final. Those were called the Dreydels.

• I know of at least ONE time you liked the 28f Ben lol

• I also liked the SEAS Prestige 27TBFC/G (H1212) in Scott S's project??? I heard at Iowa several years ago.

I can't remember hearing the newer Peerless Al dome.  Maybe Chuck you can bring them to FW next year?

• Very possible John. I've got 2 builds now that may use them.
  • You're gonna have to spill, cuz I don't know of any.