Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

DakotaDIY 2017

Comments

• SO WHY IS THERE NO DONATE BUTTON! :)
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Lord...that is beautiful

My signature goes here
  • Makes me hungry!

• kennyk
    I have a signature.
  • Man you're killing me.
  • I wish I was a better cook.  My wife and I do the basics, but nothing like that.
  • Trial and error , find out what works and what doesn't . You smoking today Jonny?
  • Looking good!!!
  • Nope. Too cold/rainy. Using the oven. 
    I have a signature.
  • Hey guys,

DakotaDIY 2017 is just a few weeks away - so wanted to post at least one more update. 

Sponsors are really taking care of this year - make sure you head over to Facebook (if that is your thing - it is an awesome communication platform) and like our pages and the pages of the sponsors:

Here is an MP3 of the house track:

I will have more information on the various tracks - but the first three were chosen to challenge and expose critical areas of loudspeakers such as panel resonance, sibilance and ultimately resolution. The last three were chosen by BK, JP, and myself as a personal inclusion while also offering a challenge to reproduction. 

JP is currently working on the upload platform, BK is working hard on a lot of the behind the scenes stuff, as well. 

As I mentioned elsewhere, the front end will be as follows:

Windows 7 PC with no moving parts running into an Oppo BD-105d and out to the Theta Dreadnaught. The Oppo uses balanced outputs, but also has RCA style if we want to roll amps. 

I look forward to seeing each of you very soon!

-JR
    I have a signature.
  • Got the hotel booked and all ready to go, except my speakers, which i still need to complete....
    JasonP
  • Finally got the damn xo fixed! I will not be empty handed at DDIY! ;)
    JasonP
  • Just waiting for final confirmation on my request for time off at work. Got a new job two months ago and I don't get to know five months out if my request got approved anymore. Looking forward to seeing everyone again.
    JasonP
  • Got my fingers crossed.
  • Very much looking forward to this.  It's basically my 2017 vacation.  Friends, music, speakers, food, beer........  yay
    JasonP
    My signature goes here

• Weather is more cooperative for smoking today...  two racks of ribs and a couple pounds of pork sirloin chops. 
    kennyk4thtry
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:

Weather is more cooperative for smoking today...  two racks of ribs and a couple pounds of pork sirloin chops. 
    Those look beautiful ... enough to make me hungry again after partaking in a pre - Memorial Day brat feed / potluck at work.
  • Time off approved. See everyone in a couple weeks.
    jr@mackennykJasonP4thtry
  • edited May 2017
    Classified post:

Pair of Eclipse 5-1/4" midwoofers. These are excellent drivers, used but minty. Very low distortion above 100Hz, on the order of the best drivers out there. $40 for the pair. SOLD

Pair of Vifa NE25 silk dome tweeters. These are brand new, I have used these tweeters in other projects and was intending to pair them with those big Tang Band 5" midwoofers but my pair of Tang Band had such unit to unit consistency that I discarded the project. 2db mismatch in sensitivity is not worth my time. The tweeters, however, are excellent. $20 for the pair. SOLD

Old pair of Vifa XT25 ring radiators. I love these tweeters, just gotta get them into a good home. Used, been used in several designs over the years. Fully functional. $25 for the pair.

Pair of HiVi F5, nib, bought when Madi had them on sale for under $20/ea. keep in mind they did not fare well in my build quality and T/S review so they are probably best used as dedicated midrange - in which case they are, from what I understand, very, very good performers. Yours for the low low price of $30/pair.

Pair of HiVI L6, new no boxes, bought when Madi had them on sale for around $25/ea. These are very well built drivers. Not a serious bass pump by any means, but the handful of designs I have heard using a variety of the L6 drivers tells me you cannot go wrong with them. $50/pr - and that is a great price. 

Still have the Dayton DSA-175 project for sale, at this point to get rid of it I will split it up. 

DSA-175 pair for $40 and the RS28-A pair for $50 SOLD. This is a nice sounding speaker, I wish I could have sold it as a kit, I really think people are missing out on it but oh well.  

I have the drivers for the Cabrini Redux available - you can have those if you want. That speaker will apparently finally make it home to SoDak in a few weeks. Been around the midwest for a couple years now lol. So if you like what you hear when you stop by DDIY, take those drivers off my hands and build a pair for your recently graduate nephew or something. That speaker is stupidly good for the money it costs to build. Still have no idea how I pulled it off, to be honest. 

I might have some other drivers at firesale prices as well. These are not shipping at these prices, so hopefully people will take them home from DDIY. The Eclipse and any of the tweeters would make for a seriously nice budget monitor, for example. I will, of course, ship but it will drive the cost up a bit for some and considerably for others.  

I am planning on going into relative obscurity other than the two Viawave monitor projects this summer - meaning, I plan on using old NLA or oddball Ebay drivers for the most part in the future so I am wanting to move most of my inventory of stock items. 

I have found myself trying to compete with others by finding just the "right" combination of stock drivers - but now that PE is selling kits like the plagiaristic "C-Note" and a handful of DIY designers perpetually get their hands on new drivers before anyone else and "kits" are the new norm I see no need for someone like me to play in the sandbox anymore. So I am selling off my stock item inventory and focusing on Realistic/Radio Shack stuff, interesting buyouts, fleabay shit, etc. I was happiest in this hobby when that was what I did, so that is what I will be doing :)
    kennykPWRRYD
    I have a signature.
  • edited May 2017
    Classified additional:

Dayton DC-200 nib $20/pair

Dayton RS52 nib $35/pair

MCM 55-2669 used $10/pair

Dayton Ultimax 8" nib $50 SOLD

Vifa TG9FD new, $15/pair

I have a signature.
  • PMS.... (Personal Message for Speakers)
  • Hey guys!

That link will allow you to upload your digital demo music - pretty sweet if you ask us!

Not much else to report - great sponsorship, great people, great tunes - what else can one ask for? Oh yeah - great food (got that covered as well!). 

Remember to stop by and like our Facebook pages, and check out our sponsors Facebook pages as well. They like it when you click the "like" buttons!

Guys, I am looking forward to this!

-JR
    I have a signature.
  • Nine awesome sponsors with some pretty sweet stuff up on the door prize table - I have to admit I'm a bit jealous (read; pissed) because I can't easily take any cool stuff home with me on my flight back.  Yes, I'm flying United.  Ugh.  However, totally looking forward to reconnecting with awesome diy guys.  What are we...one week?????   Yeah baby!!
    My signature goes here
  • Why can't you take anything back BK? United might help you off the plane?
  • I will be smoking some meat on Sunday - I bet brother Nick has similar plans :)

Man, you guys, I have been working a lot of hours lately and it is only getting busier. after DDIY, I will be pretty much devoting my summer to making sure this new plant transition goes smoothly. I hired a maintenance intern today to hopefully take some pressure off of me and my full time guys. 

I have a signature.
  • I plan on doing an overnight/early morning cook the night before if things work out. I do have a failing hd that I might have to replace on Saturday ,but shouldn't take too long ..  just the drive North to work
  • I'm all warm inside to see everyone Friday!.......Hmmmmmmm, maybe it's the scotch.  :3
  • High of 95 on Saturday , wear your speedos
  • Speedos?  Yikes!!!!   LOL
    Nicholas_23