Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Cnc talk

Comments

• Mcmaster #8619k91  $25.49  1"
    Mcmaster #8619k471 $13.57  1/2"
    $25 for the brush strip 

Bad thing is that they only offer 6" width and 12"width so you end up having to buy 12"x12" pieces which are more money. Maybe amazon or ebay would be cheaper. 
  • Thanks, sounds good. those get expensive very fast as the size goes up and so does shipping. I was looking around for acrylic sometime back and didn't get a good source, HDPE doesn't seem so expensive.
  • Look for a local plastics distributor. My Rockford area is only about 250,000 people and we have 3 good sized plastic distributors (your twin cities must be 1M+).  They all do cash sales and are cheaper than McMaster-Carr.  Worth a try.
  • Will do craig thanks for the headsup.
  • Thanks Craig. Will look for a distributor.
  • edited May 2017

kennykD1PP1NGowa
  • Sweet!!!! Hopefully mine ships in 4 days!
    kennykR-Carpenter
  • Roman do you have any recommendations for good lower price bits. I have no idea what ones are used the most. I assume a big variety of "V" bits, a good like 1/2 to 1" surfacing bit, up and down cut spiral bits or compression bits. Im a little unsure of the ball nose bits and what sizes purpose they serve. 
  • edited May 2017
    For surfacing spoil-board I have Amana RC2250.  It's a one time investment that will last a lifetime. Insert tooling is cheap to use.
    The first time you surfacing spoilboard, any bit will do but you'll get tired of waiting.
    90% of the 2d+ work is profiling. 1/4" spiral down is almost all I use.
    Amazon has Onsrud at a good price.
    https://www.amazon.com/LMT-Onsrud-57-287-Uncoated-Diameter/dp/B001VY0AI6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1494381525&sr=8-6&keywords=onsrud+1/4+spiral
    Always use shortest bit possible. It's quieter and less deflection. Onsrud lasts a very long time if you don't burn it up. I'll run it for 5000 linear ft before it needs resharpening. (size decreases after resharpening)
    For 3D work you want to have variety of ball mills. Buy them as you need aka as the job requires. Again, shortest possible length
    The difference in the produced cut of a ball mill is relatively small but the difference in the deflection between different diameter and step over is huge, For example, if you take a 4" long 1/4" diameter ball and run it with 0.005 stepover, results would be worst VS 2" long 3/8" diameter ball mill with 0.01 stepover because of the vibration.
    V-groving  is fairly straightforward, There are a lot of inexpensive bits.
    Then you get the router running and get your first job, We can go over details.
    Compression bits are nice but don't get them from the start. Just get a couple of spiral-downs, surfacer and may be a v-grover and 3/8" ball.  The longevity of the bits will depend more on your proper feed and speed application. Even a cheap bit will last a considerable amount of linear ft.
  • Thank you! I got home and the extrusions were sitting on the porch. No hardware but atleast some came early. 
  • That's normal. Extrusions are coming from the different company. 80/20.
  • Whoa its shipping today from cnc rp they got it out earlier than expected. 
    kennyk
  • Roman, do you need room to walk around all sides of the cnc or is 3 sides ok and one against a wall? 

I ordered the 1/4" bit and some materials for the dust shoe. Ill have to order that surfacing bit the other ones are $60-70 but dont have replaceable blades. 
  • You do want to be able to walk around the router. You will be using different sections of the table and ability to place and secure stock is handy.
    Are you referring to surfacing bit?
  • Yeh, the one u suggested has replaceable square blades like the helix ones for a planer/jointer. I think it will pay for itself in the long run. It was $180 or so on amazon. 
  • You can use straight plunge bit for surfacing too.
    https://www.amazon.com/Amana-Tool-45448-Straight-Diameter/dp/B0002DSVYC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1494851538&sr=8-4&keywords=straight+plunge+router+bit
    It's just more passes and then it burns out (which is likely as a part of a CNC learning curve) it's gone.

• I think ill buy the 2 good bits you suggested and some also cheap "v" ones to learn on so i dont ruin the expensive stuff. Just ordered the rest of the dust shoe stuff, deflector for the hitachi, the precision collet set for the router, vcarve pro, allens to assemble it, some insulation for the ceiling. I need to insulate tbe garage door as well. Im going to have a larger window installed in the garage for extra light, get a breeze and to install a window A/C unit. 

If you make a dust shoe get the 3" brush from mcmaster car ($13 for 36")  its much cheaper than kent cnc ($35 for 26") i ordered both because kents migjt be the wrong diameter. 
  • edited May 2017
    Well, I am about to order linear bearings upgrade which is standard with your package.
    Also just priced Rhinocam Expert upgrade from the Standard so I can add 4th axis. CNCRP should have a kit by the end of the year.
    D1PP1N
  • How much was the limear rail upgrade like $1500? The kit went up in price i think when they switched.  I didnt get the extra driver in in my control box but i may upgrade that in the future a rotory axis would be cool. 
  • I am pricing out shipping of the bearing rails in a single piece without a splice. So, I think it'll be a bit more than $1500.
    Rotary axis is fairly specific. It's useful for machining furniture parts like chair legs. Software also jumps in the price.

• Some assembly required. ;)
    4thtryD1PP1N
  • Man Mike!!!  You are one full throttle dude!
    D1PP1N
  • Ron_E said:
    Some assembly required. ;)

Yes that part will be fun for me.  A prebuilt unit multiolies the price and shipping too. I may move in a few years so i want to be able to move it cheaper. 

PWRRYD said:
    Man Mike!!!  You are one full throttle dude!
    Thanks! Braaap! As long as its not guy feiri full throttle ;)

• Wow Mike, you've got to be pumped about this.  I'd be calling in sick (with the flu) to get this thing put together.  "Sorry Boss, it's really bad, I may have to check myself into the hospital".  At least you have a three day weekend coming up.  I'm betting someone isn't gonna be coming out of that garage very much during it. BTW, sorry I missed out on a lot of this thread, was buried in a rather complicated build.  Will try to stay more tuned in from here on out.  Good Luck Man!
    D1PP1N
  • The first time she moves is like magic!
    D1PP1N
  • I put in a few more hours assembling it. Ive taken 2 days off of work. One because it didnt get delivered on time so i had to call in. 2nd was to finally work on it. Ill put i some hours this weekend. Still trying to decide what pc to use. I think ill go overkill with my old gaming pc and use the crappier one for music in my basement. This way i can do some design stuff in the garage too.

I need to wire motors and home/limit swithes up, install all software and setup files, mount the router and tram then make the spoil board and dust shoe. I may do the dust shoe before the spoil board so i dont make a gigantic mess. 
    4thtry
  • edited May 2017

This was the first time, mine came alive.

Whatever you do,get a wireless keyboard!
    You'll know why later.  :)

• Do these machines come with a teach pendant or is it an option?  Is this the reason for the wireless keyboard recommendation Roman?