Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Open Baffle Hybrid Design

13»

Comments

• Just finished putting the last coat of finish on the baffles.  I love how they are turning out.  This is the most stressful part of diy speaker building for me.  I'm going to totally remeasure the in box drivers and maybe change the xo since the baffle geometry has slightly changed with no tweeters.  Pics to follow I promise.
  • Ugh, hickory is fucking gorgeous. Excellent work.
    deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)
  • Thanks Grey!  Sometimes my finishes turn our shitty, sometime meh, and once in a while really nice.

I just finished remeasuring these speakers so I can redesign the xos.  Shouldn't be too much change, I hooked up the old prototype xos and had a quick listen.  Not too bad, just a bit forward.
    greywarden
  • That looks great! I can't wait to hear these
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • PSA - you can rattle can Rustoleum paint over fully cured Duratex.  I wanted these boxes to have a bit of stipple to help hide the seams and such, but I only had some blue Duratex paint left over.  I like Duratex because it does a wonderful job of sealing MDF end grain, you can thin it and choose a roller nap to dial in whatever level of texture that floats your boat, it goes a long way, dries fast, and cleans up with soap and water.  So two coats of of blue Duratex...  then after two full days to cure, two light coats of Rustoleum "Painter's Touch" satin black.  Very pleased with how these look.

I think you could go with flat, satin, or gloss over the Duratex depending on your taste.
  • I think you forgot to add pics :p
    kennyk
  • Ok, I started to put these back together to listen to the new xo design.  I noticed a small "scratch" in the paint.  Seems the Rustoleum doesn't stick to the Duratex as well as I initially thought.  So everyone please disregard my PSA.  I was wrong.

They may not look the greatest... but I'm hoping they sound good.  They will be playing in SD in a few weeks :)
    greywardenkennykJasonP4thtry
  • Just finished voicing these.... I like them a lot!  XO ended up being only 6 parts.
    kennykjhollander
  • I declare this project to be complete.  The final crossovers are installed and I'm happy with how they sound.  Hard to believe they are finished with still 19 days to go (SD DIY).  That never happens ;)

This project has inspired me to dive deeper into the OB configuration.  Probably stick with monopole bass but experiment with dipole tweeters and mids.  For the next project I will step up the size and quality of drivers.
    JasonPTurn2Nicholas_23jhollanderkennyk4thtry