Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

"Bang Box" build thread

2»

Comments

• D1PP1N said:
    Sweet thanks man! I'm heading down to the city sunday afternoon Bryan. Going to the lincoln park area if you happen to be around. If not I can pay for shipping or something.

We'll be around most of the day but don't sweat it - don't go out of your way.  You're gonna be up north and weekend traffic always sucks. I'll stick one in box and mail it out to you next week.  Question - do you have a 12v PS for this amp?  If not, I'll stick one in there too.
    My signature goes here
  • Can I come too??? 
    D1PP1N
  • I have a power supply. Thx!
  • Ill fly in for an informal, possibly. Will need to br chaufferred around, though. 
    I have a signature.
  • Big IF... a Rockford DIY does happen (call it the "Rockford Philes" or something silly like that) the nice thing is good food and Hotels are about 1/2 the cost of Chicagoland.
  • Rockford is closer to me too...
  • Turn2 said:
    I just got this amp today. Its pretty bad ass. It totally bag stomped the lepai. You can go pretty loud with it without it starting to break up. It even gets the sub to chuff! I can finally route the corners, glue up the baffle and duratex it for work. Thanks for the suggestion. Im going to order another. Also i coudnt figure out how to turn it off without unplugging it. My controller got damaged in shipping so ill contact them about that. I ordered 1 more bare board to try as well as a backup. 
    Turn2
  • PWRRYD said:
    Awesome Chuck!  It's about 2-1/2 hour drive from your house to my house.

I could see Marvin, Scott Sehlin, and maybe even Ron E making it.  Not too far for Pete S and John H either.
    I'm definitely interested.
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Make it happen Craig!  
    My signature goes here
  • jr@mac said:
    Ill fly in for an informal, possibly. Will need to br chaufferred around, though. 
    I think that can be arranged as long as you don't have to sit in the back seat of my Tiburon.  Mike had to do that. Don't be like Mike. You won't fit. 
    My signature goes here
  • I don't fit in much these days - I used to accuse the wife of being clever enough to shrink my shorts only around the middle, but now I have to expand that to accuse her of being a magician and shrinking my car, the hallways in our house, and my entire wardrobe.
    Mzisserson
    I have a signature.
  • D1PP1N said:
    ... Also i coudnt figure out how to turn it off without unplugging it. My controller got damaged in shipping...
    The power button is the upper left in the cluster on the right side face of the unit. Same on the remote.
  • Thats weird i hit it but it wouldnt turn off. The display changed but the backlight wouldnt go out. 
  • Actually, I believe that button on the face will cycle through all the inputs before it turns off. So multiple pushes are required.
  • Grrr, only option from PE gave for the lepai amp is sending it back to lepai for another. Itd a shitty sounding amp i dont want. Ill keep it and learn my lesson. Ill make a youtube review and post a terrible review to PE's website. 

I always hear about their great customer service but both times i needed it choose to not help me. Its stupid i have spent atleast 4k with them the past few years im not trying to screw them on a $28 amp. 
  • I took some dats measurements because i couldnt measure the changes with omnimic. Im not certain how to equate these to real world frequency response but they appear to be rolling off as needed. This is the sealed 1 liter 3" full range impedence with a 350uf cap and raw. i may increase this value a little more.

This is the sub with 1000uf cap and raw.
  • Ah crap it flipped the pics sorry the order is wrong. The sub has the double hump on top. Its vented.
  • Just finished these up tonight. Holycrap it sounds pretty damn sweet. Way too good for work thats for sure. Late night of soldering and assembling. 

kennykNicholas_23Turn2greywardenJasonP
  • Looks good! Every time I see one of those amps it reminds me of a vhf radio.
    kennyk
  • Well, it received rave reviews at work. Bad news is we all decided as bad ass as it is we cant keep it there we are all going to get in trouble. Its insanely loud for its size and my coworker is going to by it from me. The amp kicks ass you can turn it up nearly all the way before it distorts.
    kennykTurn2squamishdrocPWRRYDS7910jr@macgreywarden
  • So it turns out this project cost about $250 lol. Not including the $28 lepai shit amp that PE wouldnt take back/discount.When you buy all the parts over a few months you dont realize it would be that pricey. I think i may actually keep this but now im kinda wishing i didnt duratex it black since i may use it as a pc speaker and all my stuff is white. 

Im still mad at PE for not offering a discount on that dumb lepai amp. Why not look at a customers account to see how many product they have purchased and see how many returns they have had. If its a good sum of money and no returns its safe to say they arent trying to pull a fast one. I even sent measurements showing it wasnt performing properly. They told me to send it to lepai in exchange for another but i dont want another because you cant go past 20% volume before it distorts on sub/Left/Right channels its just a shit amp flat out. 
  • Lepai are just kind of shitty all around. 
    D1PP1NFacejhollander
    I have a signature.
  • Build a white grille for it. 
    deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)