Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Winter plans

Comments

• There is the TM box for my three-way (repurposed... three times now heh). Looking forward to hearing this Scan foam surround phase-plug midrange and DX25 on XT25 magnet Frankenstein creation! Hard data to come soon.
    Face
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • I recognize those tweeters :) Nice work, so far!
    I have a signature.

• Should cover any ringing of sub-enclosure. Will judiciously stuff the chamber with that fancy denim stuff, and call it good.
    I have a signature.
  • How do you like the SDS stuff? I've been considering getting a $100 worth to put in my car.
    deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)
  • First time ever I used it.
    I have a signature.
  • Home depot and menards have a rubber adhesive with a foil type backing for ductwork that is relatively inexpensive you can try. 

• Duratex'd
    D1PP1N
    I have a signature.
  • Omg it's not flush mounted, it must be terrible and definitely not the hifi's. lol just Joshing you JR. I'm surface mounting mine for sure!
  • In all seriousness, I would have flush mount the drivers but this project is geared entirely to the novice.

I fully expect a simple crossover to complemen the simple box construction.
    I have a signature.
  • JR, I'm thinking of an MTM with those same drivers.
  • PWRRYD said:
    JR, I'm thinking of an MTM with those same drivers.
    Dooooooooo eeeeet!

They make a killer woofer in multiples. 
    I have a signature.
  • Here's a mtm with a beston rt002a(in a pile of boxes).  ;)
    ............. could you hum a few bars.

• Pretty lousy picture.  :3
  • jr@mac said:

Should cover any ringing of sub-enclosure. Will judiciously stuff the chamber with that fancy denim stuff, and call it good.
    I'm pretty sure I have the same "mid chambers" on hand, only without the blue tint. Will your phase plug prevent "coloring the midrange tone" so to speak?  ;)
    JasonPjr@mackennyk
  • Here is a distortion measurement I took of the MCM 55-2669 and a Dayton DC28FS-8.  Pretty nice sounding combo.  This is also a drag and drop pic test for me.

D1PP1Njr@macJasonPkennyk
  • I need to make something with the ND140s I have.
    I started a pair of boxes for them before Dario was born and they still sit gathering dust...
  • Wound up with an interesting project earlier this week. Took a look at a flaky Pioneer SX-1050 that a friend wound up with when he bought a collection of audio gear. Repairs were more than he wanted to sink into it for resale so I wound up with it as a sort of bench fee. I'm planning on doing a full recap and cleaning the contacts early next year.

Given its age, would replacing the transistors/ICs be worth looking into or should they be OK?
  • S7910 said:
    Wound up with an interesting project earlier this week. Took a look at a flaky Pioneer SX-1050 that a friend wound up with when he bought a collection of audio gear. Repairs were more than he wanted to sink into it for resale so I wound up with it as a sort of bench fee. I'm planning on doing a full recap and cleaning the contacts early next year.

Given its age, would replacing the transistors/ICs be worth looking into or should they be OK?

Hey Matt,

Are you the Matt of "mattsvinatageaudiorepair?"  I just did a google search on "Pioneer SX-1050 Service Problems" and found a long blog on recapping and replacing tons of transistors on this receiver. 

Bill

• MCM standmount 3-way coming along nicely. 
    kennykFacegreywardenTurn2S7910JasonP
    I have a signature.
  • That is RED duratex.  B)
  • 4thtry said:
    S7910 said:
    Wound up with an interesting project earlier this week. Took a look at a flaky Pioneer SX-1050 that a friend wound up with when he bought a collection of audio gear. Repairs were more than he wanted to sink into it for resale so I wound up with it as a sort of bench fee. I'm planning on doing a full recap and cleaning the contacts early next year.

Hey Matt,

Are you the Matt of "mattsvinatageaudiorepair?"  I just did a google search on "Pioneer SX-1050 Service Problems" and found a long blog on recapping and replacing tons of transistors on this receiver. 

Bill

No, I'm not that Matt.

I found that blog too which is what brought the possibility of needing to replace more than the capacitors to my attention.
  • This week we will be gluing up the wife's cabinets and figuring out a color scheme for them. She is doing the Max Fidelity/Seas combo. 

I think she may be leaning towards a two-tone brown/white - will worry about that later. The nice thing about the Duratex is you can apply it in the kitchen without getting high. 

What this means is over the course of the winter I have these projects to measure/voice:

MCM 55-5665/Vifa XT25TG

MCM 55-2669/MCM 53-5165

MCM 55-5665/MCM 55-5650/MCM 53-5150

Tang Band W5-1685/Vifa NE25VTS

Plus this with the wife at the tiller:

Max Fidelity MF165-77-L8/Seas 27TFFC (I think)

Plus this with brother Nick at the tiller:

Etn 5" midwoofer/LPG tweeter (not sure of the models)

Plus brother Chris and his nephew, when they get time, have a few projects that I will be helping them through the sticky points with. 

Finally, as soon as spring rolls around (or if I get a nice day in the next few weeks and the time to take advantage of it) I have the drivers on-hand to do another Cabrini variation. Essentially it will be adding the 10" subwoofer to the bottom to extend the bass a bit. Some old Realistic T-100 (or something, not sure exactly) will serve as the cabinet. All it needs is a new baffle cut. I will also be doing an MTM for people who might want to use them for a center channel, as well. I think with those two designs, I will be closing the door on the GRS/Cabrini lineup. 

These represent what will probably be the last projects I do using regularly available drivers for quite some time. I have been hoarding NOS/lightly used Radio Shack drivers for a while and I plan to design not only several builds using them, but also to put together an on-line resource to assist others who may be sitting on these out-of-date but still fun to use and listen to drivers. 

I have a pair of Realistic branded, US built 12" DVC subwoofers (I plan on writing a short article detailing how the concept of "acoustic suspension" changed from a deliberate engineering process to nothing more than referencing a cheap, high Q motor), for example. I will be providing T/S parameters, basic on-axis measurements on a standard baffle, alignment suggestions. 

Also currently on the docket are the venerable 6.5" poly cone woofer, the 8" poly cone woofer, the soft dome tweeter, the super tweeter, the cone tweeter, the dome midrange, and the Linaeum tweeter. Still to be sourced are the 4" woofer often sold/marketed as a Minimus replacement, the 3" midrange/tweeter, the 4" cone midrange, the 10" poly woofer, and the 12" poly woofer. Some of these show up on Fleabay once in awhile, but people are starting to realize they are becoming collectible and pricing is reflecting that. The 8" NOS poly woofers I just picked up cost me $65, for example. In modern drivers, that almost buys a pretty solid pair of woofers (I'm looking at you, MCM KB series). 

Of course, any other NOS/lightly used Radio Shack/Realistic drivers that come my way will be tested - so if any of you guys have any sitting around...

Really, I think the chapter in my life focusing on design work for the hell of it might be coming to a close. It has been a 25 year journey to get to this point - and I think it is time to move on to other (related) things. I get a lot of requests to build studio monitors, soundbars, subwoofers, etc - all of which I have limited time for. I have a nice monitor design in the works (the MCM 3-way will be an excellent monitor) so when that is finished I may just start lugging them around to demo at the local studios. Believe it or not, there are at least a dozen real studios in Sioux Falls, South Dakota that record and release music. One of them already uses a pair of my speakers as part of their playback system. 

So maybe that is why the big push for the next six months or so. I have discovered that the concept of voicing speakers for months on end is not necessary when one is familiar with a range of track selections and is willing to spend four or five hours on measurements - so on a personal level, there is a bit of the old "I came, I heard, I conquered" going on. Designing speakers is not at all easy, and I don't mean to imply that - but like all crafts, eventually you gain a level of proficiency that means the challenge is no longer, well, challenging. At this point, you change direction or you hire an apprentice. I do mentor a few people locally, and I do not plan on changing that but for my personal endeavors in the design world, I think I will be shrinking back from the public eye over time. 

Also, I have an old pickup that needs my attention. 
    kennykFaceS7910greywardensquamishdroc
    I have a signature.
  • Wow!!!  And I thought I had a lot of projects...  :open_mouth: 
  • I find it "Hard" to believe JR not flexing his "DIY" muscle. Maybe only a little R&R to recharge. ;)
  • Still plenty of DIY, just a different durection. 
    I have a signature.
  •  

No, I'm not that Matt.

I found that blog too which is what brought the possibility of needing to replace more than the capacitors to my attention.

Well, good luck with your project!  Looks like a very good design with lots of power (120wpc).
  • Slight change of plans... My MTM project will still be the high value MCM 55-2669 woofers but now use Vifa XT25TG tweeters.  $24 tweeters and $12.99 woofers on sale!!!!
    JasonPkennyk
  • I'm putting together 4 crossovers I designed to save a friends DIY speakers that he made with off the shelf crossovers from Ebay.  The crossovers he bought had nothing at all on the woofer.

I started cutting wood this week for some small all Dayton 3-ways with ND105-8, CE65W-8 and PTMini-6.  These will be slow going while I help my wife finish up a rental house refurb.
  • Warm Novembers are a phenomenal thing. Suddenly looking doable:

* A TABAQ-ish 2-way with the long gone TB W4-616S & ND25FA-4. (Could also go to the W4-1320 SJF
    *  A tiny 2-way based on a model by Scott Sehlin with the PS95-8 & AMT Mini-8.
    * kennyk's Itty bitty 3-way.
    * And finally, baffles for the MCM 55-2669/MCM 53-5165 (or other tweeter?)

JasonPkennykD1PP1Njr@macNicholas_23
  • Did you make a template for the truncated mcm driver?