Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

1" Particle board as a budget sub enclosure.

I know it isn't as nice as mdf or plywood but I can get 14 x 23" pieces of 1" particle board free. I plan on building a sub with a mcm 120 watt plate amp and a dayton dcs 10" sub. I plan on finishing it with duratex. Am I being too cheap?

Comments

• Not at all. If you cut a piece of 14" x 23" 1" MDF and lay it across two cinder blocks with a third cinder block sitting on top, and then do the same with the particle board - you will see why the PB is a perfectly acceptable bass cabinet material. It is stiffer. 

I use PB stair treads (1-1/8" thick) in several builds. The outer 1/8" or so is rock hard. I had to learn how to use my router all over again. 

Downsides include chip out along the cut edges (make sure tools are super sharp), and the end grain is extremely porous and will require extra steps in the finishing process. I just slopped Duratex on and let it do the work for me. If your tools are sharp, you will be left with a perfect edge, however. 

It is lighter, stiffer, and cheaper than MDF. It cannot be as easily machined into contoured surfaces as MDF, due to chip-out and porosity of the exposed innards. Hard to beat, IMVHO. 
    4thtryduanebroMzissersonJasonP
    I have a signature.
  • Agreed. If you really want to make it pretty later, add a layer of 1/4" over the top. 
    duanebroJasonP
  • I also agree.  I used 1-1/8" particle board for my new Nanotech speakers and this material is very stiff and non-resonant.  I used the 24.5x72x1.125" bench top material from Menards, which is the same stuff as the stair treads.  I have not begun finishing yet, but my plan is to build up the surface with several coats of poly and bondo, sanding flat between coats.  Then I am going to roll on a couple layers of duratex.  Bill 
    duanebroJasonP
  • You could always buy some cheap laminate for a counter top to veneer the cabinetd and if the fikish isnt what you want then sand that and paint. Not sure what one is easier to accomplish but it's an option. 
    JasonP
  • Thanks for the advice! All your replies make me feel more confindent.