Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Crossover mockup boards

I started to make these 2 boards for holding a bunch of crossover components.  I'm trying to get most values on there so I can do a quick build and try close values before ordering the real thing. I need to make a bunch of spades up with like 10-12 inch leads so I can connect them all. I haven't started the coil one but Its the same size oak board and I will put a big variety on there with some caps and resistors as well. 

I will put in threaded inserts to attach them and a handle to carry it / hang it up so itsorry not out all the time. I just started it so I need to order some more resistors and a few caps. There is a spacing issue that is tricky to get all 12 slots populated. If u have any suggestions or comments feel free to mention them. I'm frustrated with twisting leads together and moving parts to just listen To a tiny change. 
jr@macMzissersonkennykgreywarden4thtryBryan@MAC

Comments

• I've been using twist caps and winging it for a long time. I think what you are doing is close to optimal. Here are my thoughts:

Space the terminal strips well. If you do so, then you can just screw in caps, resistors, and coils without needing to alter them.
    Get a ton of jumper wires. These will let you do the connections between components in the terminal strips.

Wait... you are making cap and coil boards. Nevermind! I thought you were doing board to quickly mockup XOs, my fault!
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Thats a sweet idea. 
  • I'm not looking forward to making all these spade / fork leads but I got 50ft of wire to cut up lol
  • A little more progress on the capactor and resistors board. Basically I'll have small increments in resistors from 0.5 ohms to 12ohm, I'll keep the middle spots open with the 6 position block terminals for any specific needs that aren't on the board. The second row of 12 positions has some empty spots for the resistors I'm missing but I put a 20uf and 2x 15 to get me in 5uf increments from 15-50uf. 

Current resistors are .51, 1, 1.2, 1.5, 2, 3, 3.3, 4, 4.7, 5, 6 (missing a few) 8.2, 11 and 12.

The npe ranges are in order , 8.2, 15, 22, 33, 47, 80, 80, 100 and 150. Those combos should be able to get me most values within 250uf. 

The poly ranges are in order  1.0, 1.5, 2.5, 3.9, 4.7, 1.0, 6.8, 8.2, 10. I placed the 2nd 1uf inbetween 4.7 and 6.8 to get 5.7 or 7.8 with a single fork spade. 

JasonPgreywarden
  • Very nice!

Reminds me I need to finish my multi-tap inductor project. I unwound and then rewound a laminate core inductor and introduced multiple taps. Works like a champ. If I get time between now and then, I will document it and share it. Pretty cool concept.
    FaceD1PP1N4thtrykennykMzisserson
    I have a signature.
  • That would be awesome JR. The layout for a bunch of coils on a board really sucks. It's going to be heavy and take up alot of space im not certain how to lay the coil board out but if u can get numerous taps on 1 coil that could be very useful for this application. I mean these are all space parts I have sitting in a bin so now they are organized and easy to see and read so it should make the design phase and tweaking alot easier. 
  • Multiple taps may be easier on a Goertz foil inductor.
  • Mike, let me know if you need any additional parts. I've got lots of XO shit that's sitting in boxes. Unfortunately I'm not doing anything anytime soon so I'd not have a problem helping you to fill some value gaps in your project. Hit me up if you need anything. And great job BTW
    My signature goes here
  • Will do Bryan. I just ordered some stuff to fill in the values from Meniscus.
  • I finally need to get going on the coil board. I made up a bunch of wires yesterday to quickly connect to the terminals  i need to make some with the alligator clips too. I cut the boards all in half to save space and i plan to make taller stand offs so that its a thinner easier to store and carry unit. 

My question is, can i put like 10-20 coils on this board close together without messed up values? I thought mutual inductance will only occur when all the coils have current going through them and since only 2-4 coils should be going out of the many on there maybe it wont be a problem. Am i wrong? 
    greywarden