Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Site Upgrade

edited April 2019 in Announcements
Greetings fellow audio enthusiasts! It is time for that most dreaded of IT affairs: Site Migration. You can all sigh with me now. sigh

Later this week, likely on Thursday about 4 or 5ish EST, your MAC home for all things awesome will be unavailable. This is to grant us the ability  to move the site to a much more robust hosting situation (shared hosting vs virtual private server). We need to do this to remedy several software issues that given our current setup, we don't have any control over.

The site will return as quickly as possible, but I imagine it will likely be down a few hours. I'm sure if you have pressing discourse during this outage, you have other means to engage through.
= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
Silver1omoBryan@MACkenrhodeskonfyoused

Comments

• Ok, due to other life obligations this is moving from today to Sunday morning: 4/7/19. Just FYI.
    ThumperTomkennyk
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Thanks JP and thanks to all our MAC DIY guys who really are at fault here. If it wasn’t for such interest in the hobby and this stinking forum we wouldn’t need the more robust hosting platform. LOL. 

When I set this up in 2012 I admit there wasn’t much thought into how it might grow. 

Very grateful to have @JasonP here to bring us to the next level. Looking forward to more bandwidth. 
    My signature goes here
  • Cheers to JP!
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Ok, I got the Wordpress moved over today. If you try to load http://www.midwestaudioclub.com you'll get a page telling you we have moved to the new server, and a link to our new second domain name: midwestaudio.club.

I'm cleaning up the wordpress now, seeing if everything is working properly. (Bryan you should be able to login to the new site as normal).
    kennyk
  • SSL certificates obtained, installed, and working. Wordpress reconfigured to work in SSL mode. Check.

Putting off the forum move one more day: So now tomorrow afternoon/evening: 4/8/19.
  • Forum migrated.
    kennyk
  • Image links fixed.
    jhollanderkennyk
  • Nice.  Feels faster...
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • It should be, we have "dedicated" virtual hardware. Which I assume means reserved amount of time share, memory, etc. It also isn't logging an error every time some accesses the forum. It was doing that before, and creating a huge text file which I had to routinely delete.
    kennyk
  • edited April 2019
    File permissions causing a little issue denying image uploads. Fixing that now.
  • Image upload is a go!

kennyk
  • Thank you JP.
  • Awesome! 
  • I don't think the site is sending emails? I'll confirm and address that today.
  • Notification emails should resume.
    kennyk
  • edited April 2019
    Hopefully good now *rolls eyes*, yep - confirmed.
  • Thanks JP!  
  • Forum update to Vanilla 2.8.1 for security patches. Let me know if anything breaks. Seems ok to me.
    Silver1omo
  • JP, do we need to update our bookmarks to .club instead of .com?  I get redirected on MAC but I can access the forum from .com or .club.
  • You do not Tom. Both domains will continue to resolve to this server. The forum is domain agnostic, so both names work fully. The main site doesm't like that however, and redirects midwestaudioclub.com to midwestaudio.club. It does this simply because: it was quicker to implement, and the new URL is shorter.

tl;dr - Don't worry about it, midwestaudioclub.com ain't going anywhere. Both work.
  • edited April 2019
    A couple times now I've received this message in the bottom left when posting:

Unknown column 'Active' in 'field list'
    It looks like the post doesn't go through, but I hit refresh and it's there.

[edit: also, the "code" formatting is white on yellow here, not the best. Let's try with quote formatting instead]

Unknown column 'Active' in 'field list'

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I too got that error when editing a post. I'll see what I can figure out, thanks!
  • edited April 2019
    Think I fixed this error message, let me know if it pops up again!
    dcibel
  • Thanks Jason and MAC for all that you do for the community 
  • Thanks Jason and MAC for all that you do for the community 
    What he said ^

• edited April 2019
    Changed my mind, so to correct information mentioned above: the old URL midwestaudioclub.com now does an internal server redirect to the new URL. This is because our email being sent from the forum is triggering spam blacklists and we need the email to originate from the same domain name. Email in the modern era is a nightmare. This should have no effect on forum function, but time will tell.
  • Thx JP.
  • Upgrade from 2.8.1 to 2.8.3 for security fixes, don't expect any issues from this update.
    kennyk
  • Fixed some broken internal image links in old discussions (from URL redirect). Think everything is finally back to normal.
    kennyk
  • System update and server reboot today took the forum out for a little while (they changed a default MySQL setting I needed to undo). Sorry for any hiccups!