Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

2019 New Build

edited March 2019 in DIY
Well its a new year and I'm finally in a position to get a new build under way. I've kinda been playing around with this project here and there in mono mode till I could find a crossover scheme that would make it sing. I finally settled on a second order series that seems to have a pretty nice sound. So I went on with it to stereo mode and its really starting to make my ears happy. The drivers are an LCY108 (tweeter), HM130Z4 (mid),and AC250F1 (woofer). The woofer is in a sealed enclosure playing in "Omni" mode, the mid and tweeter is mounted above the woofer. The mid is open back. Crossover points are around 300Hz and 4KHz. I hope to have them ready for MWAF, we'll see if everything plays nice...
Bryan@MACkennykjhollanderThumperTomGowaNicholas_23S7910dynamogreywardenJasonP
ยซ13456

Comments

• The woofer doesn't push everything above 300Hz up thru the ceiling? LOL.
    My signature goes here
  •   Great looking design! I recently did a Pluto clone that uses a omni woofer and I love the sound. I'm sure yours sounds much better than mine. I also admire that you are doing this with passive components. Active was an easy way for me to deal with the obstacles. I hope they make it to MWAF. 
    rjj45
  • Bryan@MAC said:
    The woofer doesn't push everything above 300Hz up thru the ceiling? LOL.
    Damn, you found me out... Its my new method of frequency modulation to create all kinds of sonic madness!!
    Thanks Ken ๐Ÿ‘

• That is inspirational.   Looks like another winner.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited March 2019
    Very cool, hope to make it MWAF this year.  But where's a pic of the car that goes with the banner?
  • very cool
    Planning on posting freq response with differing positioning of the mid/tw positions (looks variable front to back a bit)?

• Diggin it!
  • Very cool, hope to make it MWAF this year.  But where's a pic of the car that goes with the banner?

I WISH !!!! ๐Ÿ˜€

The M/T isn't adjustable. I did sit it at different depths but it really didn't change anything.
    squamishdroc
  • ....also the R/C car in that pic has a 911 body on it...guys gotta dream...
  • Totally awesome design! For a long time I thought about omni designs, but then got sidetracked into MLTL and high-efficiency designs.  Really great that we can play with so much flexibility in sound presentation.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Very nice.  Reminds me a bit of Ohm F and KEF 105.4 without their grilles.  I really like the framework.  
  • Reelfan , was thinking the same on the ohm reference

• That looks really cool. Sometimes I look at a particular speaker and can imagine how incredible and effortless it probably sounds. This is definitely one of those designs! 
  • The more I listened to it the better it sounds. Driver break in...ear break it...? Regardless, time to order some fancy wood. Thanks for the props guys!
  • What are your plans for finishing? Do you plan on keeping the dowel frame or having just a baffle?
  • Honestly I'm still tossing this around. I might just use the base and a baffle. The original plan was to cover the top with grill cloth, but I just can't seem to let that happen. Seeing the driver's is just the thing to do ๐Ÿ˜€ As for the finish, right now it's going to be Rosewood veneer and Wenge trim. There will hopefully be some copper touches involved, too. (Hence the other post looking for a hook up on plating) 
       I ordered some crossover goodies that should be here today. I had to make a few comprises on cap/coil values to get the stereo pair up and running. 
  • I was surprised at how splintery Wenge was.  Prior to finishing I wiped my speaker down with an alcohol soaked t-shirt material and then had to go back with a lint roller to pull the tiny white fibers out of the wood.
    PWRRYD
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I love the look of your tapered bases. Takes me back to the Spica Angelus - those were some amazing speakers.
  • Thanks for the heads up, John. 
    Tom, I really like the truncated box look. Just has that sold pyrimid like sturdy look to it.
  • If your looking for copper you might want to look for copper flashing scraps from construction sites. Some homes still have copper flashing and gutters. Sometimes you can get the end of a roll for cheap.
  • The base of the M/T is 1/4"

• Crossover is pretty much done, I'm really happy with it so far. The Wenge lumber showed up today, as soon as the weather plays nice I'm gonna let the saw dust fly!
  • The picture of your prototype crossover looks exactly like the crossover schematics Wolf posts LOL.
  • awesome!
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Another note on Wenge- It's a strong skin irritant, and I would recommend a respirator. If at all possible, avoid getting splinters in your fingers. My uncle works for a cabinet maker, and he is very opposed to working with Wenge.
  • PWRRYD said:
    The picture of your prototype crossover looks exactly like the crossover schematics Wolf posts LOL.
    Ha! Your right, schematic brought to life.

Note taken on the Wenge ๐Ÿ‘
  • I don't want to come off as a creepy picture stalker like Grumpy Roemer, but is that the back side of a bass guitar I see in one of the pics?  If so do you play and what bass?  Fender Jazz maybe?
  • Yes I do play the bass as well as a bit of guitar. That's actually my guitar, 7 string Ibanez. I have 2 five string basses.
    That's my baby ๐Ÿค˜
  • Nice!

Country music?   :p
    jhollander