Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

DiY Record holder

I personally use milk crates but i made another record holder for my dad this past weekend. I'm a big fan of this color combo.  I made a similar one before but this one was 1-1/2"  (6/4) thick before cleaning it up. I cleaned everything up with a planer as they both had a bit of twist to them with a simple planer sled and a few shims to level the workpiece. Once I had a final dimension of the paduak sides I setup the dadoe blade and did a few test fit cuts. It fit like a glove. A nice snap I to the groove. This way you can just glue it up and not use any hardware. It's super heavy and dense too. 

I used a 45 degree bit on the router table for the edges of the purple heart (no sanding in these pictures). I used a sacrifacial block at the end of the cut so I did the get tearout. I converted an old crosscut sled into a dadoe sled and it works really nicely. The dadoe stack I have was only $80 on amazon and it's high quality.  I used. A 15 degree angle on the sides to hold the records. 
greywardenjr@macFaceJasonPkennyk

Comments

• Really nice Mike!
  • Add some shiny brass feet and you could market these, Mike. 
    I have a signature.
  • That's gorgeous Mike, nice!
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Thanks, yeh they would be nice to make in bulk aND sell. The cost is kinda high I have $65 in the wood and about 4 hours labor for an unfinished product. I got a slight discount on the hardwood because they were cut offs.  Shipping would be rough if they are assembled but if it's a knockdown That's easier to ship. If it's unfinished chances are the dadoe fitment will be too tight after a top coat. I've thought about making a bunch and listing them. At axpona they were asking $120 for a headphone stand of plywood. I'm not certain a good price point. 

• I'm also wanting to try out some butcher block style amp enclosures or something like that. I want a project with some splines in it. 
  • To be honest, when I saw the title of this post, I thought it was going to be about who has built the mostest speakers, ever ever. 
    D1PP1NJasonPgreywardenkennyk
    I have a signature.
  • Nice job!