Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Favorite Albums

edited February 2019 in DIY
Hey all, I was in the music store today and was overwhelmed by the choices.  I got to thinking this might be a good forum to ask for a list of favorite artists and/or albums that everyone might not know about.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I listen to pretty much everything (apart from polka or thrash metal), but by all means include these if they're your favorites. 

It might be interesting to have an ongoing thread to add new exciting music members have found.
Tagged:

Comments

• If you don't know Morphine, please check them out.
    e6zion
  • Pink Floyd - The Wall. If you’ve never listened to the whole album it’s a must. It’s a 90 minute thrill ride. The movie is decent too. 
    e6zionGowa
    My signature goes here
  • edited February 2019
    There's still music stores? ;)

I posted a few in the youtube thread, I think I'll post another in there. One recent album that really caught my ear is Mojo Juju's self-titled album. For more "normal" music, I really like The Stone Foxes, Patrick Sweany, and The Steepwater Band, among many others. Oh Marcus King Band, Shovel's And Rope, and Little Hurricane, check them out too :)

A couple bands from my home, check out The Sheepdogs, and Colter Wall.

e6zion
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Bryan@MAC said:
    Pink Floyd - The Wall. If you’ve never listened to the whole album it’s a must. It’s a 90 minute thrill ride. The movie is decent too. 
       Have that movie and Heavy Metal on DVD.  The first time boy watched it I told him it was a flashback to the 80's when everybody was on drugs.  Heavy Metal is also a good animated movie along the lines of PinkFloyd.  

• Not in any particular order and not because of great recording quality...  I just love the songs/music.

U2 - October
    Pink Floyd - The Wall
    Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
    Queensryche - Operation Mind Crime
    Dada - Puzzle
    U2 - Unforgettable Fire
    REO Speedwagon - Decade of Rock n Roll
    SRV - Couldn't Stand the Weather
    The Cars - The Cars
    Queensryche - Empire

e6zionGowa
  • All kinds of new stuff!  I'm excited.  I'll add a few artists:
    1) Ryan Bingham (Country)
    2) The Record Company (Rock)
    3) Mike Love (Reggae)
    4) Aesop Rock (Rap)
    5) Sierra Hull (Bluegrass)
    6) Short Trip Home (Classical blue grass instrumental crossover)
    7) Jane Antonia Cornish: Continuum (Contemporary Classical [chill])

Kid woke up... I'll add more later.

• Bryan@MAC said: 
    Pink Floyd - The Wall. If you’ve never listened to the whole album it’s a must. It’s a 90 minute thrill ride. The movie is decent too. 
    This is my favorite album of all time.  The funny thing is, I'm not particularly fond of Pink Floyd as a band.  They just did such a remarkable job of telling a story and using music to convey the emotion of that story.  Truly a masterpiece.

A few lesser known albums that have remained in my permanent rotation:

Gomez - Bring It On

Ben Folds Five - The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner

Traffic - Shootout at the Fantasy Factory 

Lauren Pritchard - Wasted in Jackson

• edited February 2019
    e6zion said:
    All kinds of new stuff!  I'm excited.  I'll add a few artists:
    1) Ryan Bingham (Country)
    2) The Record Company (Rock)
    3) Mike Love (Reggae)
    4) Aesop Rock (Rap)
    5) Sierra Hull (Bluegrass)
    6) Short Trip Home (Classical blue grass instrumental crossover)
    7) Jane Antonia Cornish: Continuum (Contemporary Classical [chill])

Kid woke up... I'll add more later.

If you're a fan of The Record Company, I think you'll enjoy most of the bands I suggested above :)
  • Leaving aside the usual 'Baby Boomer' suspects, (Beatles, Hendrix, Miles, Dylan etc etc) I'd suggest:

43 Minutes  Sam Brown (great vocals, very personal album about loss)

The Blue Note Sessions Nigel Kennedy (Nigel's first and best jazz album)

Concert for George (great tribute concert for Mr Harrison)

The New Goldberg Variations (fascinating and very enjoyable re-write of Bach's piano work for violin and piano) Joe Chindamo and Zoe Black

Lisa Hilton Midnight in Manhattan (great jazz piano)

Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa Live in Amsterdam (great blues/rock show with a marvellous version of Strange Fruit)

I could add about two dozen more but these are current favourites

Geoff

• Even Now by Barry Manilow is possibly the greatest album ever recorded.
  • Greatest Hits Vol 1 is much better.....

Gowa
  • Staples... I know the sound of these very well...

Jennifer Warnes- The Hunter

Norah Jones- Not Too Late, Come Away With Me

James Taylor- Hourglass, Live, and a lot of others...

Creed- My own prison

Morphine- Cure for Pain

Dire Straits- On Every Street

Kathy Troccoli- Corner of Eden

Mike Knott- Strip Cycle

LSU- Grace Shaker

Diana Krall- Live in Paris

And heavier...

Brainchild- Mindwarp

Circle of Dust- (the entire catalog)

Klank- Still Suffering (likely the most spins of anything I own)

Paramaecium- Time to Mourn

Mortification- Scrolls of the Megilloth

Living Sacrifice- Conceived in Fire

Becoming the Archetype- Dichotomy

Meshuggah- Nothing

Screams of Chaos- Genetic War

Disturbed- Indestructible

Silverchair- Frogstomp

Stereomud- Perfect Self

Leaderdogs for the Blind- Lemonade

• That Silverchair album was made when the band was still riding their bikes to high school!

Geoff

• This is a great thread. Many awesome posts. Just when I thought I had a great collection here come a bunch of new suggestions. 
    My signature goes here
  • https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greta_Van_Fleet Somebody tell me I’m crazy. Since I heard this band on SNL I’ve been looking at some of their vids. They really do sound like Zeppelin or am I nuts? 
    My signature goes here

• Gowa
    I have a signature.
  • Bryan@MAC said:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greta_Van_Fleet Somebody tell me I’m crazy. Since I heard this band on SNL I’ve been looking at some of their vids. They really do sound like Zeppelin or am I nuts? 
    They have ripped off the Zeppelin sound for sure.  They sound pretty good to me until the singer starts to sing(?).  Then it's like nails on a chalk board.
  • Far East Man: this track is from Ron Wood's first solo album "I've Got My Own Album to Do", a favourite of mine. Loads of great musicians such as George Harrison and Keith Richards.  This take is from a 2002 live show with Slash and Andrea Corr.  Ron's voice is rougher than usual, but the track has great feel, nice drum sound and Slash does some very Harrison-like backing.

• I hope this link works.
    kennykgreywarden
  • Bryan@MAC said:
    This is a great thread. Many awesome posts. Just when I thought I had a great collection here come a bunch of new suggestions. 

I agree!
  • PWRRYD said:

I hope this link works.

I've been trying to find them performing here in the midwest but nothing so far. I'm going to Minneapolis in April to attend a performance by Albert Cummings. He is awesome!

Jim
  • I saw Tedeschi Trucks at the Jazz fest in Saskatoon. Great show at a great venue.
  • PWRRYD said:

I hope this link works.

They were in Cedar Rapids in January and here in Ames a couple of years ago.

Ron
  • Hi Ron,

Thanks for the heads up. Obviously, I missed them. I'll keep my eyes open a little better. Ames and Cedar Rapids are very close!

Jim
  • jholtz said:
    Hi Ron,

Thanks for the heads up. Obviously, I missed them. I'll keep my eyes open a little better. Ames and Cedar Rapids are very close!

Jim
    They've actually visited C.Y. Stevens Auditorium twice in the last handful of years. Caught them the first time but passed the second, but not because it wouldn't have been worthwhile. Looks like they'll only get as close as Aurora, IL and St. Louis through the end of July '19.
  • Geoff- Yeah, Silverchair was young at the time, but the album is still just great!

And- Who doesn't like Andrea Corr?

• Wolf said:

Geoff- Yeah, Silverchair was young at the time, but the album is still just great!

Daniel Johns later formed a band/duo called "The Dissociatives", different style to Silverchair but did some more varied material, worth a listen

Geoff

• Would also add to the list:

Recollection by Concrete Blonde, a good 'best of' album by a unique sounding band.  Also their 'Still in Hollywood' collection. Their albums tend to be uneven, but these two anthologies collect the best of their material.

Like No Other by Chantel McGregor, a young British blues/rock guitarist with a good voice and a memorable blues guitar sound.

Geoff