Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

NHT 2.5i

I recently decided to pull one pair of nht2.5i back into service when the tube rolling began, just to have an old baseline to start from.  From the start, it was surprising how much different these speakers sounded than my last 2 builds.  They felt dark in the low/mid treble but fine on the very top.  Definitely do not have the bass of the last 2 builds either.  Chalked that up to just not listening to them in a long time and my poor design abilities showing in my diy builds.  They're factory, never modded in any manner.  I must be wrong.

Nope.   

Time passes.  I miss the bass.  Time to put the nottas' or the axp back on stage, but before doing that I need to get measurements.

The red spade connector on the tweeter goes to the T+ on the crossover.  It's wired correctly, so why the big dip indicating it is wired wrong?

Comments

• Reversed tweeter polarity.  5db scale.  Didn't find anything on the net in reguards to improper polarity.  Will have to measure the pair in the shed at some point.   

• Were they both like that? How many years did you listen to a tweeter out pf phase? ;)
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Both were like that.  These are my 2nd set and they haven't seen much use.  Since they have never been touched I just assumed everything was as it was supposed to be and didn't trust what I was hearing.  I really thought my diy speakers were that far off.     
  • I see. So I assume the sound is a lot more similar now?
  • More alike but still very much different.  The axp06 build more revealing the nht more relaxed.  Purple is the nht gated @2.6, dark red is the axp06 build gated @3.2ms. 

What do you see and why?   

• Can't comment much on a single on-axis measurement with a somewhat thin gate. What you hear is much more than that single wiggly line. One could deduce that the slight valley in the 2-3kHz range is what makes it "relaxed". NHT could use a bit more BSC, and a bit more tweeter padding to match, but then their sensitivity rating would be lower, not good for the sales team ;).
  • Somebody should Ken Kantor some shit about this.
    I have a signature.
  • I'm not sure when this pair was made or when they sold to Klipsch.    
  • I think the NHT were known to be a little hot in the treble.

I wondered if that dip from ~2-4k and a hump you can't see in this gated graph, centered around 100hz, makes it feel more relaxed?  The mid bass kind of balancing things out?  Of course its interaction with my highly live room makes a huge difference.