Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Random , Mods can delete ROCKS

Bought the kid a rock tumbler for Christmas and we are putting it through its paces . We are on week two now with medium grit.  
Tigers eye and " green opal"  . I wonder if some of the tigers eye couldnt be used as a knob , Im not sure how it would drill . Since its layered , I wonder if it wouldnt split in the process. 

Comments

• First thing about rock tumblers, put them as far away as possible to isolate the noise.    
  • Did you purchase all your starting stones or is some of that pile local material? Never had a tumbler, but being a soils guy I've found interesting rocks in many places.
  • I did some research and found the tumblers with the rubber barrels are best for low noise . We have it going in the kitchen , it has an almost white noise at night , so not too bad. The tiger eye and green opal were purchased online from amazon. The two (which I am assuming) are whitequartz , was picked up in Iowa from the last trip to Iowa during Thanksgiving. The quartz is holding up really well compared to the tigerand opal. Been loosing alot of material from the tiger eye and allot more from the opal. If you zoom in , you can see where the rocks will split and break apart . 
    Turn2