Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

RAD News 4 U

Because we have access to CNC, we are debating whether to offer knock-down cabs.

Some sizes we are considering are:

· 15 L

· 22 L

· 30 L

· 43 L

The baffles will be blank or cut for 7’’ SEAS & Rival which are virtually the same size, with standard 104 mm tweeter hole. Back panel will be blank or cut to fit Precision port and without the hole for connector plate.

We are considering other size drivers, but this is it for now.

We only use Canadian MDF because of its consistency and quality.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Great idea: if there's one thing which puts people off DIY speakers, it's making the cabinets.  Well, that and soldering.

MDF is a pain to cut at home due to the dust and I've found local CNC cutting to be just about perfect dimension wise.  However, posting MDF is very expensive, so there's a balance between the cost of cutting plus post, and getting a local firm to cut it and for you to collect it.

For example, in Oz I can get the MDF panels cut for a pair of 0.25 cu ft (15l ?) with no speaker cut outs for $75, if I pick up. The same sized MDF KD cabinet shipped from the US works out at A$130. But Oz won't be your market anyway.

Geoff

Gowa
  • I might be down for a 15L cab depending on price and dimensions. What would be perfect is about 10L with a baffle width of 8" for a 152mm midwoofer. Blank baffles are all I'd need. Just to avoid having to make a bunch of different parts, blank boards all the way around would be the way I'd go if I were you. Even with 104mm tweeter hole, not all tweeters are exactly the same 104mm, and with different thickness of counter bore required so you'll have a hard time pleasing everyone.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • dcibel said:
    I might be down for a 15L cab depending on price and dimensions. What would be perfect is about 10L with a baffle width of 8" for a 152mm midwoofer. Blank baffles are all I'd need. Just to avoid having to make a bunch of different parts, blank boards all the way around would be the way I'd go if I were you. Even with 104mm tweeter hole, not all tweeters are exactly the same 104mm, and with different thickness of counter bore required so you'll have a hard time pleasing everyone.
    That's why we are opting to put blank baffles in there. The baffles would be sold separately.
    dcibel
  • I use ply because of weight. Easier to fly with.
    rjj45hifiside
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • kennyk said:
    I use ply because of weight. Easier to fly with.
    Ply people are not allowed in this thread.  :p
  • Is that because you got a splinter?
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • kennyk said:
    Is that because you got a splinter?
    Ah.......OK.
  • I would love to see more CNC flat packs, and if they had cutouts for rival woofers that would be great.

Regarding sizes - I'd like to see what dimensions you'd have in mind for each volume.

The 30L would be a good size for an MTM

The 22 could be perfect for a 7" 3 way like the many designed by Selah audio among others.

The 43 would be great for a floorstanding 3 way with 2x midwoofers and a mid chamber.

By the way - I'm a new member. Hello everyone. 
  • · 15 L – Compact TM

· 22 L - TM

· 30 L - MTM

· 43 L - Slim Tower
  • You might ask Dan/ CSS how the flat packs are moving.  I would bet slow.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited January 2019
    Flat packs aren't on CSS site anymore, I assumed they were NLA. Only flat pack options are as a kit with speakers and crossover.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • These may be cut to fit Rival drivers. We won't carry much inventory. We may even squash the idea. We're still working it out. It's a lot of work and takes up a lot of space. So there would need to be some return on that investment.
    We are also getting out of kits all together. They are a pain in the rump. RAD was selling them for a while, then we dropped them and picked them up again and then dropped them...........
    RAD will stop offering crossover parts. They are not worth the time and effort.  We are having a series of meetings to see if we just want to carry Rival drivers and nothing else. We should have things sorted out this month. :)

rjj45dcibel
  • You might ask Dan/ CSS how the flat packs are moving.  I would bet slow.
    They didn't move well at all and there were some logistical issues with stocking, shipping and reordering with the "1 panel, many cabinets" approach we took.  Yes, there were less panels to store, but it was difficult to keep track of - something that could have been worked through if the demand were higher.  With the flatpacks selling at a much higher rate with kit than without, we opted to drop the flatpack only option when we upgraded our shopping cart.  

We get a lot of inquiries about Baltic Birch flatpacks, but I think the price increase over MDF may deter most curious parties.

Dan
    Gowa
  • edited January 2019
    DanP said:
    You might ask Dan/ CSS how the flat packs are moving.  I would bet slow.
    They didn't move well at all and there were some logistical issues with stocking, shipping and reordering with the "1 panel, many cabinets" approach we took.  Yes, there were less panels to store, but it was difficult to keep track of - something that could have been worked through if the demand were higher.  With the flatpacks selling at a much higher rate with kit than without, we opted to drop the flatpack only option when we upgraded our shopping cart.  

We get a lot of inquiries about Baltic Birch flatpacks, but I think the price increase over MDF may deter most curious parties.

Dan

Yeah, we only sold 3 flatpacks over the period of about 6 months and 2 of them were to the same person. Now depending on the price your CNC shop is giving you and the quantity you can get things in, it might make more sense. Our prices were higher than what PE was offering and we don't really have any way to compete on those cabinets. I think PE makes almost nothing on theirs if they don't sell other product with it.
  • Our prices are excellent and lower than PE. We use only Canadian MDF. (Best in the world) We are considering offering baffles.