Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Fubarred dsp408

Comments

• Yep, don't know what it does though because my dsp408 is still a useless brick, even after the update. 
  • Sounds like maybe that Quatvnn fella has a bricked unit now too.
  • I haven't been on PETT for a long time.  It just pi$$es me off and makes it hard to get any homework done. 

Haven't bought anything from them either. 
  • You just got a personal apology and a guarantee to "make it right" from the owner, Jeffery Stahl.  I guess if the wheel squeaks long and loud enough.... Hopefully your ordeal is nearly over.
  • Visited there late yesterday and seen a topic reply and pm stating another replacement dsp408 would be shipped and to update the gui and firmware.  I will reserve judgement until the unit arrives and it either works, or does not.

I am tempted to just buy a dongle and use the ifruit never connecting it to this laptop in hopes of avoiding the issue altogether.  I had mentioned this to Geoff in a phone conversation but he wanted to wait.    

Customer service ... well, I have mixed emotions about that.  The good thing is they have not abandoned me but the other side of the coin has me without a functioning unit for what, 4 months.  And now that homework has taken its toll, there is no time to play with the thing if it works.  In fact, every hobby has come to a complete standstill.  Sleep, work, eat, poop, do homework.  That's just about it right now.       

• Well, they did send you some "hush money"....  ummm, I mean a MiniDSP   :#  :p
  • Too bad it was a basic and not an hd, I've been wanting to play with the fir filters and need the input/output room,  .9 v just isn't enough. 

Vusstoppy contacted me via pm and his issues appear similar to mine.  They are telling him to use a wired remote to change presets which will clear the data error, then update the firmware.    

What is going on with PE?  I know they are pushing the price/performance envelop and sourcing some of their stuff from the cheapest supplier (China) and it is no secret that when doing this sometimes quality takes a hit.  In the past, I do not feel it has been much of a problem for PE since they have been super good about prompt resolution of the issue, however, reading between the lines, the issue with the dsp408 goes a lot deeper than we are being let on and now quality issues with another high profile product, the rs28 replacement.   

Is something changing at PE?         

• I don't know.  I sure found it strange that you got a reply directly from Stahl.  That's only the second time I remember seeing him post on PETT.  The first time wasn't so pleasant and pissed off a lot of members.
    rjj45
  • I remember that, can't say his remarks were pleasant but also understand that it is his forum to do with as he sees fit. 

I am surprised my presence there has not been erased over this dsp thing as that is one of their hot products and it has surely had some effect on sales.

PE contacted me about the replacement unit via email which I returned with a few questions.  Also let them know I would give my honest evaluation of the dsp on PETT and other diy websites, and if he desires, on PE's own product reviews.

Let's hope it was worth the wait and hassle.          
  • I got a $50 credit from 2016 speaker design team that expires soon. I keep aimlessly looking at PE website.
    Any suggestions?
  • Need a Surge Protector/Power Strip? Sounds about right for the price bracket.
  • edited April 2019
    $50 bucks toward some Audyn caps and satin nickel binding posts.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I've got that $50, too. Hmmm. 
    I have a signature.
  • I bought a 4x100 amp board to mess with my mindsp hd. Hooked it up and checked it yesterday and it.wkrks pretty well. It was $58ish plus the psu. 
  • Which amp board? 
  • It was a sure board but it came in a wondom box!  
  • For the price, I think they sound pretty good.  What's your take on them?
  • I had a different, older version of that 4x100 sure TK2050 board. I liked it a lot. The bass was thin, but then I discovered (from a forum post) that the input filter on the RCA inputs was bad and could be avoided using the phoenix connectors. I did that and it sounded much better. I wonder if that impacts this design at all.
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • PE must monitor TT pretty close.  Mention anything negative about the dsp408 and they will reply.  Guess the answer is in PE's reply " ... $very$popular$unit".  Anyone else here have a dsp408?  Is it prone to hum and does it add a lot of 'hiss' to the treble?  Out of the several I've been through, the only two that work both hum and hiss, enough so that I've reverted to running two minidsp instead of the single dsp408 unit.  One of these days I'm going to try battery power and see what effect that has on the hum and hiss.                       

OP: "... I was noticing this buzzy/static sound coming from the speakers. It would stay for maybe ten seconds and then disappear. I also noticed a constant hiss on top of that with no audio playing. The reason I’m confident it’s coming from the dsp is because I actually bought two for my HT setup (the other is connected to my fronts and center to help integrate with my subs) and that one has the same issue. I’ve tried changing the gain in the dsp and in my AVR to no effect ... ".

Hello, Jake, and welcome to Tech Talk. I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this very popular unit. You can reach me directly at 937-550-0241 to go over a few troubleshooting steps, we're always glad to help. Thanks!

Russ Reed
    Technical Advisor
    Parts Express

• I read that and thought of you, actually. 
    I have a signature.
  • Sorry to dig this up, but is the DSP-408 junk or did  Dayton/PE get it figured out?  Is it better to go with miniDSP?
  • Go with miniDSP, it's software is overall better and well supported. 
    R-Carpenter
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • dsp408 vs basic 2x4minidsp

dsp408: 4in8out so if you're doing a 3way the 408 means only one box.  Geoff, or was it Jason, stated line output is good to 1.1volt vs mini's .9volt. 
    Hum/noise, probably power supply related but no matter where it's plugged in or how lines are ran, the hum/noise remains (both units) and is loud enough to be heard on quiet passages.  If you need the extra outputs (pair of 3ways) it is cheaper than two 2x4minidsp ($105full/$80kit per unit) but not by much as the dsp408 is $150 when not on sale.   

2x4minidsp base: Only 2in4out so a 3way takes two units.  No hum, just a tiny bit of tweety bird if you put the ear close to the tweeter.  Unlike the 408, I don't think noise will be a problem even on the most sensitive tweeters.  No comparison in regards to software ease of use or flexibility.  It will come with one free software download and you choose between 2x4advanced, 2way advanced, 2way advanced21, 4way advanced, rear/center channel, and ambiophonics.  All software choices can later be purchased for $10 each.  Pretty darn flexible.  Minidsp is miles ahead of Dayton.   

The mini software is intuitive, flexible, and it just sounds better and that's why they are still in the system while the dsp408 are sitting in a box.         

• That is what I was thinking based on reviews and feedback on the product.  Looking to use the miniDSP for eq and designing crossovers.  Are there any red flags going with the HD vs regular? 
  • I'd get the HD, it's analog stage is substantially improved.  IMO the regular is best suited to EQing subwoofers
  • If $ is no issue, I'd go with the hd.  It has the added advantages of better processors and fir filters.  Check out the minidsp site, they got some kool stuff.  https://www.minidsp.com/   
  • IMO, the dsp408 is Pe's attempt to copy the 2x4minidsp and cash in on some sales.