Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Fubarred dsp408

Comments

• They are seriously bricked? 
    I have a signature.
  • Wow. 
    I have a signature.
  • edited January 2019
    Doesn't think he can make them functional although a reflash of the chipset might, which he cannot do.

We've been in contact through PM and I feel he is giving it an honest try, but it doesn't look good.      
  • It's nice that PE provides such good support of their competitor's products.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • So, this still begs the Qs-

What made the folder appear differently?

Why did the 408 brick as a result?

Is this something that a patch is being made to prevent against?

• I find it curious that when your DSP408 died PE sent you a MiniDSP unit instead of another DSP408.
  • edited January 2019
    If I were to look at this from PE's perspective, we have someone claiming publicly that there is a conflict with a new product and the minidsp, which is breaking both products. This person has put this information publicly on the internet before trying to resolve the issue with the supplier. PE would want to put that issue to rest ASAP to prevent it from spreading across the internet impacting their sales significantly as I'm sure the forum threads will come up when someone is researching the product. So they bought some minidsp product, verified that there isn't a conflict with their product, and found that the issue is known and documented somewhere on the minidsp forum. To further their reputation as a company that offers excellent support they've replaced the customer's minidsp even though the issue was unrelated to their product.

As far as the issue with the Dayton DSP, I'm sure they are still looking at it. If the issue is not easily reproduced at their office it could take some time to resolve. Software issues in general take some time to resolve if that's the case.

As a customer, you could ask PE to refund it, just say that you want to go with something else that works. I know you didn't buy it from PE directly, so they may want JR's invoice or something like that. I know HD will take in Ryobi gear without invoice, because its their brand, so PE may do the same.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.

• In defense. 

Admittedly, I did let them know about my feelings on their forum, but feel overall comments have been rather restrained on PETT and here.  They can delete, edit, modify, or otherwise profit off my posts with no recourse on my part.   

Have been working with JasonM behind the scenes.  He is putting in an honest effort in trying to get this issue resolved but feel he is about ready to throw in the towel. 

I am not very computer literate, but do find the timing of the crashes suspicious.  Don't recall the minidsp forum mentioning what might cause the bad settings nor have the minis ever crashed in the last 2 years of ownership.    

... and complimented Geoff and PE's customer service. 

Just to be clear.  They did not offer to replace both dnf'd minidsps, only one, which means I would have to buy yet another minidsp to listen to both 3-way builds.  It was nice of them to send the mini2x4 as a peace offering but they can have it back.     

I need a 2in and at least a 6out for my active 3-way builds, not another 2x4.  That was the reason for buying the dsp-408; to eliminate the clutter of having to run 2 minidsp2x4s, volume control, adjustments on the fly, and maybe better sound as the minidsps add a slight amount of noise that is not there when they are removed from the system.

I'd rather have a working 408 than a refund. 

And as Geoff admitted on PETT, they are aware of these problems with the 408. 

"Kornbread,

I'm going to send you a message with my direct phone number, please give a call whenever you can.

I'd like to personally make sure you get taken care of on this matter.

These issues are ones we are currently working on and are going to have a resolution soon."

In the last PM with JasonM, I asked if he would like both the bad 408 and replacement mini2x4 in exchange for a working 408 that can only be connected via BT dongle, or to a computer other than this one. 

dcibelPWRRYD
  • In response  to the LR issue. 

Today, 09:38 PM
    Originally posted by ge_off_me

As we have stated before, we are actively working on a fix for these issues, it's not always just a simple fix that happens immediately.

Geoff, the issue he refers to has been known for at least a couple months, probably much longer. It would be nice to get an update every now and then, even if it's just "we're still trying and not giving up" at least we get a sense PE cares about its customers. From your last post I don't get that feeling and reside with the very real possibility the issues with the dsp408 will never be resolved because it's not economically feasible.

• never screw with that shit again. After 2 DTA-100 amps blew up, I refused to buy more. You have to make a quality/value judgement sooner or later.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Well I guess it's at least good that he admitted their product has issues.  Better than the WT3 shit show where all they did was blame the customers.  Somehow I got lucky and never have had issues with my WT3.
  • Yeah, it mystifies how a company like PE with excellent customer service refuses to stand behind some products.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I was quoted a very low failure rate for the dsp408, but I can only assume by 'failure rate' they were not counting the issue with the LR crossover slopes.  It appears that issue has been present from the start and has yet to be resolved.  I imagine a tiny failure issue such as mine will never be fixed, guess I'll just use the minidsp they sent and live with it.          
  • I was told numerous times by PE that my issues with WT3 were either examples of "RTFM" or " you don't know what you are doing". This was even before the workarounds when Windows 7 came around. 

When they finally, after several years, admitted to selling flawed hardware - they offered nothing but a free software upgrade to a piece of crap hardware. Whooptie shit.

Speaking of which, don't be surprised if future software releases to the DSP unlocks features (like when Dayton charged people for a software upgrade to use the WT3 as a LCR meter). They might firmware fix the LR issue - but I doubt anything serious will be done about running similar pieces of hardware side by side without bricking one of them. 

I wish you the best of luck, and I still feel like a jerk for selling this to you. Dayton should probably stick to "engineering" drivers and exit the electronics game altogether. 
    rjj45
    I have a signature.
  • edited February 2019
    Jr., you owe me nothing but if it makes you feel better ...

Hopefully this Fall schoolwork will come to an end and allow some desperately needed me time.  So ... I will be attending some meets, don't know which ones or when, but I will be there.  You buy a round and we call it even.  How bout' that?              
  • Works for me, thank you.
    I have a signature.
  • Ge_off_me's reply on PETT was very snarky.
  • I wouldn't call it snarky, more like exasperated.  I may have more empathy than others because I’ve been in a similar situation as his, except it was India and not China. In this case I think PE doesn’t have much (if any) influence over the Chinese designers, especially over the Chinese New Year.  And in all fairness PE and other manufacturers are in a catch-22 situation: go to China for the low prices that everyone demands or roll the dice trying to sell better, but more expensive products. 

While PE has a few black marks against it (e.g. the infamous WT3) I personally find them better in customer service overall than most other companies.  YMMV.

• edited February 2019
    Although I've bought a lot of stuff from them over the years, I'm not a large buyer, they will never know I'm sorta gone.  I will probably continue to do some business with them but they will no longer be my go-to for speaker building and electronics parts.  They're other sources.    
  • edited February 2019
    For those who no longer visit PETT
    Originally posted by Kornbread View Post

Geoff, the issue he refers to has been known for at least a couple months, probably much longer. It would be nice to get an update every now and then, even if it's just "we're still trying and not giving up" at least we get a sense PE cares about its customers. From your last post I don't get that feeling and reside with the very real possibility the issues with the dsp408 will never be resolved because it's not economically feasible.

Geoff's reply:
    I do what I can to keep up on this issue. I've called you and a few others on my own personal time to try and help with any issues on the DSP-408. I have spent hours weekly on Facebook messenger, on my own time while at home, trying to help people with this DSP.

I have stated several times now that we are actively working on a resolution, this isn't some bogus lie I'm trying to force feed you, it is the simple truth. Not much can get done during Chinese New Year, but we are still working on the issue as much as we can here. If you don't get the sense that we are actively trying to fix this, I'm not sure what you want me to do to convince you otherwise.

Probably on my way to getting banned.   

• re: "Probably on my way to getting banned.  "
    Yeah, they take a very dim view of public criticism.
    Concerning TT policies, what we all tried to warn about 2 years ago has happened.
    Message traffic is about 1/10 what it once was. People go elsewhere.
  • Speaker building is also 1/10th of what it use to be. In my neck of the woods anyway.
    But yeah, their policies seriously disappointed many people.
    rjj45
  •       I guess we're referring to the post from PartsExpress's owner regarding what and who he would allow to post and (he actually admitted to checking posts on TechTalk against a list of current customers)  and once something was posted there, it was his property?      
  • Something like that.
    Problem is, people don't have disposable income any more. Resources are been vacuumed to the top and even middle income people are struggling. I don't have enough people to do NY DIY because nobody is building anything. I am not building anything either aside for couple of projects for the customers. Can't afford a fun build.
    So, PE and a bunch of other companies are trying to come up with the cut throat low price merch that ends up been junk. They don't make it in US and create very limited number of employment but expect US customers to spend what little money they have.
    It's not just audio. Ikea helps closing small furniture shops. Starbucks makes shitty coffee $6 sugar filled coffee mixes and so on.

On the side note. For these people who say private delivery companies are better than USPS, we have exactly that going on in Brooklyn Navy Yard. A private company took over local mail delivery. It's a fucking disaster!
  • Yep - The latest PE flyer is sort of depressing. Instead of well-engineering designs with quality drivers, they featured projects from auto sound guys who said "I bought these $5 drivers and put them in a box and it sounds great".
    Yeah, whatever. If that's your target market, if that's your business model, I"ll go elsewhere.

• Someone on PETT posted about a noise problem with their 408.
  • Haven't been to PETT in a while.  Their mail and email fliers have been hitting the rubbish bin. 

Geoff makes it sound like he has spent hours and hours with me trying to work out the problem.  He sent me a pm with his phone number.  I don't remember if he called me the first time or not, but I called him the second time, neither call lasted more than a few minutes. 

That was it. 

No "hours on Facebook messenger..." and if he has "... spent hours weekly on Facebook messenger, on my own time while at home, trying to help people with this DSP" I first applaud him for being dedicated to his work, but then have to question why he spends so much extra time helping people with it.  He quoted me a ~1% failure rate for a couple thousand units sold.  It would be hard to believe ~20 faulty units have caused hours weekly of his own time trying to resolve.     

So if I type "problems with Dayton DSP-408" search engines like Google will find it?                     

• edited February 2019
    <sad>