Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

LOL WTF tweeter

So taking apart one of the Maggies, I had to get a little forceful removing the drivers. As the tweeter came up, I noticed the chamber had fallen off. I was a little concerned. 

For reference, here is the tweeter from the backside:

It shows a nicely scuplted chamber, a rarity on smaller tweeters.

Here is a shot of the inside of the chamber:

It has a nipple like all good tweeter chambers have, but I got a little concerned that there was no stuffing of any kind.

I should have realized long ago something was weird, given the relatively high Fs for a chambered tweeter. Here is the impedance of the tweeter in question:

So I took a look at the back of the tweeter and had my LOL WTF moment:

The chamber is a dummy. Nice. On the one hand, it kind of miffles me because this is actually a decently performing tweeter - and the addition of the dummy chamber probably drives cost up a few bucks. Irritating. On the other hand, I now stand to gain a few cubic inches in the cabinet. Le sigh. 

Dumb. 

I have a signature.
D1PP1NjhollanderGowaWolfS7910Bryan@MAC

Comments

• Just for sanity sake, here is the impedance sweep with the chamber removed:

I have a signature.
  • Well on the bright side they didn't waste any cost on damping the non-chamber, lol.

And FWIW, "Maggies" is what most people call their Magnepan planar speakers.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I remember thinking my naming them "Maggies" would bring that up vis-a-vis Magnepan. These are named after my grandmother, Magdalene.

This tweeter thing is chafing my ass a little bit lol.
    I have a signature.
  • PWRRYD said:
    Maggies?
    The red MCM 3-way I had at Dakota in 2017.
    I have a signature.
  • There's plenty of well performing tweeters without chambers, I'm listening to a pair right now :)

• dcibel said:
    There's plenty of well performing tweeters without chambers, I'm listening to a pair right now :)

I missed out on those, what a deal that was!
    I have a signature.
  • I bought 2 pair and designed my own crossover for them, one pair went to a friend of mine. A deal is right, I think the pair came in for the cost of a single Seas W15. Then there is the build quality, for such a small speaker we have a cross brace between the woofer and tweeter, and the tweeter held in place by a solid aluminum pipe screwed in from the back. A baffle cast from resin and marble dust passes the knuckle test better than solid concrete I believe. They work well at my computer with a little EQ to help the low end and desk reflection.
  • Yeah- me too... What was that, like 10 years ago?
  • Yes, I think it was 2009, still a great speaker though, I imagine I'll still be using them in another 10 years!
  • Wow, just wow. But enlightening nonetheless. 
    My signature goes here