Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Veneer screwup/recovery

edited December 2018 in DIY
Made a couple of mistakes when prepping some Oak veneer for the current build.
Resulted in curly pieces that I hit with some softener and baby-sat them until flat.
Unfortunately, the curling returned when I painted them with Heat Lock, but I figured
that I could flatten them again using a lot of heat and pressure. 
Long story short, I decided to strip the veneer and reapply fresh pieces.
I managed to get all the old veneer off using a heat gun and putty knife, but nothing I can
find will remove/flatten the old Heat Lock glue residue.
Tried machine sanding with 80 grit - no improvement.  Heat gun works a little, but not really good enough.
Any tips for this? 

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!

Comments

• Heat Lock folks FAQ states that it can be reactivated with enough heat, and sure enough,
    the heat gun would soften it up, but only in  small area, and even then the glue was very sticky.

I bought an oscillating tool today for this purpose, but it was somehow not effective at high speed.
    Later I found out how to slow it down, and found that then the cutoff tool was pretty effective at scraping off
    the heatlock glue. 
    Thanks anyways!
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • That looks like a real bad time.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Wow I hope to never need this advice
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Thanks bruhs
    I couldn't get a good picture of the puckered oak veneer, but I had to decide that the bumpiness was
    way more than 10 mil, so I'd never be able to sand them out flat, so I could have lived with 
    the imperfection or dived into repair.
    A corollary of the problem was that it proved that reactivating Heat Lock after
    3 or 4 days is basically impossible.  

• What is the substrate? When I had to remove veneer (cracked in several places) of plywood, I just used a hand plane. 
  • What is the substrate? When I had to remove veneer (cracked in several places) of plywood, I just used a hand plane. 
    Boy, it's been many years since I used a hand plane, so it never crossed my mind.
    The oscillating tool worked pretty good (though not perfect) in the end. 
    I think I'm good to go to glue a new layer on top.

Thanks for the tip.
    Hmmm, I do have a hand power planer around. That should work also...