Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Has Anyone Used the SB Acoustics SB16PFC in a TM, Please?

Hello from Australia

As the question asks, has anyone used this driver in a two way?  I have two, to put in a MLTL cabinet which a very kind person has designed for me. However, I'm after tweeter suggestions and (if there is an existing project), crossover ideas.

Thank you

Geoff

Comments

• I know Craig has used these (or a variant thereof) several times. I used the 5" version, but probably did not spend enough time working things out on it. 

I have a signature.
  • Is that the SB Coax?
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I guess there are other PFC's
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Thank you, it’s the regular mid woofer SB16PFC-8

Geoff
  • I used them in a pair of 1 cubic foot MTM's with RS28F tweeters.  They really needed bigger enclosures.
  • Thanks, as a matter of interest, where did you cross them, the FR looks very flexible in this respect.  How did you like the sound?  In Oz, they're great value, only $6 more than the Peerless 830656 which I'm using in Ron E's C-notes.

Cheers

Geoff

• Geoff,  Look on Ampslab.com for projects with this woofer.

• Thanks Howard, will do

But I suppose I should finish Ron's C-notes first!

Geoff

• Thanks, as a matter of interest, where did you cross them, the FR looks very flexible in this respect.  How did you like the sound?  In Oz, they're great value, only $6 more than the Peerless 830656 which I'm using in Ron E's C-notes.

Cheers

Geoff

I crossed them to the RS28F's right at 2000 Hz LR4.  I really liked them sound wise.  Very nice midrange for a driver at that price point.  I think they could have had really good bass performance as well, but I pretty much choked the life out of them with only 1 cubic foot total volume per pair.  I had to play with the tuning and stuffing so that they didn't sound too boomy.  In a proper sized box with the right port tuning I suspect they would be really good bass wise.  The only other gripe I have with them are those silly shaped frames.  I have no problem with their polymer basket material.  But that oddball ass shaped framed forced me to surface mount them (I can be quite lazy sometimes).  I sold all four of them to some lucky guy in Indiana this Spring for something stupid cheap, like $20 for all 4.  I hope he makes a really cool project with them.
    howard
  • Thank you for those comments, the SBs should sound nice!  Agree with the silly shape, too; SB's website says that a round version is on its way.

Geoff