Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Group buy, anyone?

https://www.parts-express.com/peerless-by-tymphany-da25bg08-04-1-aluminum-dome-tweeter-4-ohm--264-1458

MOQ of 1,000...

PE has a TON of Peerless by Tymphany drivers currently at wholesale pricing (and associated MOQ)... Wonder what gives?
I have a signature.

Comments

• Not sure why they would show that unless it's a placeholder for parts due to arrive.  DigiKey does the same thing
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • That's a good observation, it has been mentioned before that PE was expanding their Peerless lineup.
    I have a signature.
  • The realist in me agrees with John.

The cynic in me thinks it's to drive people to their house brand.

I hope the realist is right.
  • I'm thinking it's a shipping thing.  A container from China or Taiwan is like $5K and 8 weeks.  A 1,000 drivers is not going to make much of  dent in a container.  Peerless is probably trying to secure orders before send a container or it could be that PE is shipping and trying to fill the container.  There are whole companies that make a living selling container space.
  • I believe it. That exact situation has caused innumerable and lengthy product delays with other hobbies I'm involved in.
  • I had also seen that and wondered what was up.  
  • Notice the woofers that look like KEF Blade woofers? I hope they dig a bit deeper....

The DA25's they've had are still available, but they're a different impedance than those in the MOQ entries.

I think they are just like that of the MOQ TB stock. TB requests PE stock up a certain number, and therefore PE can't order until they order that quantity. This is more for their prestige lineup than the new stuff, as the new stuff is in higher demand and lower MOQs for those possibly exist. This is why you see TB items for so long at PE, as they just sell/deplete the stock they originally purchased. If the demand is high enough, changes due to market like that of NeFeB can influence special batches or reorders, or just a reorder of the previous. I was told one time that a lot of TB MOQ for PE is in the 1k pieces range.

• Wolf said:

Notice the woofers that look like KEF Blade woofers? I hope they dig a bit deeper....

Do you mean these - https://www.parts-express.com/peerless-by-tymphany-sbs-160f35al01-04-6-1-2-aluminum-cone-woofer-4-ohm--264-1564  Might be the woofers used in the Kii Three monitor speakers.
  • Tom_S said:
    Wolf said:

Notice the woofers that look like KEF Blade woofers? I hope they dig a bit deeper....

Do you mean these - https://www.parts-express.com/peerless-by-tymphany-sbs-160f35al01-04-6-1-2-aluminum-cone-woofer-4-ohm--264-1564  Might be the woofers used in the Kii Three monitor speakers.
    it hits 31hz in half cube??? MTM in 1 cube would be amazing!
  • Sure- could be Kii drivers too. That's the one I meant.
  • Sensitivity for that Peerless woofer is in the toilet.
  • Sensitivity for that Peerless woofer is in the toilet.
    Damn Hoffman! 
    rjj45S7910Wolf
    I have a signature.
  • You just need 4 per side to make up for it :)
  • Speaking of which anyone have a high sensitivity 6.5 or 7 inch mid woofer they like?  I'm leaning toward the RS180P-4, but the Wavcor stuff looks pretty good at 2X the price.
  • Don't underestimate the RS180P.
  • ...or the Spanish Inquisition!!

F6?

• I'm trying to get 90 dB at 2.83v and F3 in the 50's or better.  Lumpy is the SB17NRXC35, Maybe the Scan 18W/4434G, Better is the SB17NBAC35-4, then the SB ceramic, but if I'm at $87 plus then the Wavcor looks more interesting.
  • John, are you targeting multiple drivers to get to the 90db? A pair of pretty much any Rival 7" will yield 93db before baffle step loss. Rhythm Audio has them on sale for $50 a pop right now, as well. 

The Gradient Axis 7" is close to 90db, as well - I might be persuaded to sell my pair pretty cheap. It doesn't have the Xmax of the others, I believe they advertise 4.5mm, but it arguably has a better motor than the RS180 otherwise. 
    I have a signature.
  • JR single driver, I'm trying to see what's out there near 90 dB per driver.  I can read specs like everyone else but was wondering if anyone had used something they liked.

I'm using the Rival CPs in my current build.  The 7-inch woofers are for this project:

• Good call.  I think they were the woofers in the JB Tribute speakers which I liked.  I need to get over my poly cone problem.
  • Poly cone problem?
  • Maybe it's an age thing, but poly=plastic always seemed cheap fake and well plastic.  Aluminum= airplanes and rockets.  Paper= airy, light as a kite.  Carbon fiber= composite sports car fast. Kevlar =cut resistant, bullet proof.
    Yeah, it's 8:00 on Friday night and I'm typing a note here...
    dcibelGowajholtzJasonP
  • Maybe it's an age thing, but poly=plastic always seemed cheap fake and well plastic.  Aluminum= airplanes and rockets.  Paper= airy, light as a kite.  Carbon fiber= composite sports car fast. Kevlar =cut resistant, bullet proof.
    Nomex = Fireproof.

Ron
  • I have a pair of Peerless 6.5" poly cone woofers I bought from Madisound way back in the early 90's.  I should stick them in a box and see how they sound.
    FWIW I used to feel the same way about paper cone drivers....  we've got all this space age material technology, why would a cone still be made out of old 1920's materials like paper?   :#
  • I was surprised when I bought some Peerless SDS drivers years ago. I would have thought by just looking at the photos they had some type of poly/plastic cone, but they are coated paper. Wonder what the coating is?
  • Ron_E said:
    Maybe it's an age thing, but poly=plastic always seemed cheap fake and well plastic.  Aluminum= airplanes and rockets.  Paper= airy, light as a kite.  Carbon fiber= composite sports car fast. Kevlar =cut resistant, bullet proof.
    Nomex = Fireproof.

Ron
    I'm not going to test that theory with mine.
    jr@mac
  • I didn't mean anything, John. 90db is a tough nut to crack. 
    I have a signature.
    That used to be my feelings/thoughts also, then Jeff Bagby pointed out world class AT (sorry, can't remember what the initials stand for) mids/woofers have poly cones, and high end Morels have poly cones. I have yet to hear either of those, those.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!