Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Upcoming design - a W/TM monitor

As can be seen from my mad 'shop skills, it will be utilizing RS28T-F and RS52F for the TM section, and the venerable HiVi F8 for the bass and upper mids. 

I measured the F8 and discovered it has very useful parameters for decent extension in a small enclosure - very important for monitor use. Here is a tentative alignment:

That is F3/6/10 of 49/40/33. 

I see no reason why the chosen drivers cannot hit 800/3000 crossover points, see how they play together. Probably go together fairly easily as well. 

Finish will be black Duratex, naturally. The general outside dimensions of the cabinet will be around 20X12X12, slot ported. 

Now, just need to brave the cold and build some cabinets or find someone to build them for me!
I have a signature.
Silver1omoPWRRYDS7910kennykJasonPTurn2dynamoThumperTomsquamishdrocGowa

Comments

• Paging Mr D1PP1N.
  • I think Roman is his guy but if you need me I am here. JR has been a great friend to me. 
  • Cool design!

i brave the cold with the help of my carbon monoxide machine ;)

D1PP1N
  • Holy Headaches Batman!   :open_mouth:
  • Hey hey - I have a toolbox covered with car parts stickers, too! I bet Craig does as well!

Mike: After I get some cabinet design finalized, I'll be in touch. 

dynamo
    I have a signature.
  • The only stickers I have on my tool drawers are labels so my wife can find the tool I forgot before I crawled into the attic, under the car, etc.
    jr@macS7910rjj45JasonP
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited November 2018
    Yup almost the same top and bottom boxes plus an add on side box.  All stickered up too.

• Ive been needing to try these for about 2 months now. 
  • not a well known company but I've tried them on my CNC and was very impressed. I think they are even made in US.
  • Just got a 3 bit set of Yonicos from Amazon. Have not tried them yet. Good to Know!
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I will be going with a pair of the Dayton ND waveguides instead of the RS28TF. 
    I have a signature.
  • I've got a bunch of Yonico router bits. My only complaint was that a few did not seem very sharp compared to CMT and Freud.  They have held up well tho.  They are my go to brand. I picked up one of those undercut bits from Javad.  Man that is a beast of a bit.
  • I've got a bunch of Yonico router bits. My only complaint was that a few did not seem very sharp compared to CMT and Freud.  They have held up well tho.  They are my go to brand. I picked up one of those undercut bits from Javad.  Man that is a beast of a bit.
    That bit from Javad is pretty nice. 
    I have a signature.
  • So far i have bought a new different bits from them a few spirals and and some specialty bits. The packaging is one of the best and they hold up decently. Fast shipping from amaxon is a plus. 
  • I have a Magnate Under-bevel45 from Javad as well. Magnate makes good bits!
  • Ok, after chatting with a few local producers, a ribbon is the current requirement, so the Beston square face planar will be used. 
    I have a signature.
  • You had the round theme going strong.  It will be interesting to see what the new layout looks like
  • Truth. Maybe I'll print round faceplates for the TM.
    jhollander
    I have a signature.
  • May I suggest the RT1.3WE?  I really love it and it was pretty easy to cross to the SB15CAC, so the dome mid should be a great match.
  • And it has a round faceplate :)
  • I ain't buying any new drivers, though.
    I have a signature.
  • I mizzed that...  
  • I wasn't clear, to be honest.
    I have a signature.
  • So, I was initially not going to buy any new drivers, but this:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dma105-4-4-dual-magnet-aluminum-cone-full-range-driver-4-ohm--295-590

Has the same outside dimensions as the Beston RT0002 tweeters. Hmmm.... 

Neo motor, non-shitty frame, copper in the motor, very linear through the passband, should be able to be crossed at 3500 easily - and with the all the goodies in the motor, the breakup might have minimal odd order related distortion anyways. 

Top it off, it is reasonably sensitive. 

I wish Dayton put as much thought into the baskets on some of their larger drivers - those DA/DS/DSA baskets are atrocious. 
    I have a signature.
  • edited December 2018
    That IS a strange driver! The square frame looks like an auto buyout driver, then the 12 spoke frame looks like a Wavecor or Satori. I'll be we see that frame on more PE drivers, it's just too sexy.
    I've been looking for a strong 4 inch driver at a reasonable price. This may be the one. Thanks JR

Actually, I still like the FaitalPro 4 inch better. Flatter FR, flatter impedance (more copper) and higher sensitivity. Little higher Fs though.  https://www.parts-express.com/faitalpro-4fe35-4-professional-full-range-woofer-8-ohm--294-1124

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Decent sensitivity and FS make this a winner.  The smaller drivers also look good imo
  • Nice little booger! Hadn't seen that one yet...