Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

New Pre-Pro.

Marantz AV8801:

All the little screws are copper, makes it purty.
I have a signature.
Gowaisaeagle4031jhollanderThumperTomJasonPjceasonBryan@MAC

Comments

• 'effin impressive. Love the balanced connectors, love Marantz quality. 
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Very nice, interested to hear your thoughts on its sound. What will it be replacing?
  • Using the Oppo BD105 as a preamp currently.
    I have a signature.
  • Nice, never heard one but have read very good things
  • Was a fairly regular customer of the local hi-end'ish shop, (afaik, the only shop for 120+miles).  Salesman let me take home for evaluation about 6 different pre/pros; Sony es, a couple Pioneer elites, a Yamaha, Denon, and Marantz.  Heard a lot of good things about the Sony es but was ultimately disappointed with its two channel sound.  The Denon had a ton of features and I wanted to like it, but the sound was just, for lack of a better word, clinical.  Guess I'm definitely not a Yamaha fan, even though I still have one in the bedroom.  It was a close call, but the Marantz sr8400 edged out the Pioneer on sound quality.  Still have that ole relic, even though it's no where near up to date with all the new formats, it still sounds decent for a avr.                           
    jr@mac
  • JR, how are you liking your new Marantz now that you have had it for a couple months?
  • Pretty nice. It gives up nothing on processing to the Oppo, either. Upscaling video is excellent, no idea on the 4k upconvert though, still on 1080P here 
    I have a signature.
  • GODZILLA!  That's beautiful.  To what audio extent are you using this JR?
  • HDMI in from the Oppo and HTPC, letting the Marantz take care of it from there and outputting over the balanced outputs to the Dreadnaught.
    I have a signature.
  • jealous.....
  • ... all that glitters...