Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Rival Acoustics R176-ACB-08

Measured a quad of R176-ACB-08(Aluminum/Ceramic cone), ice cold out of the box.

............. could you hum a few bars.
Gowa

Comments

• It's results like this that drives home the +/- 10% crowd are nothing more than apologists for shit QC.
    rjj45kennyk
    I have a signature.
  • Thanks Kenny, that's interesting. There's only one pair left in stock but trying to get some more for the summer.
  • I have some pretty big plans for the four R176-CP-08 I purchased around Christmas time.  My 4 drivers measured almost identical to each other and to the published specs.  Based on Wolf's Fenrir project using a similar Rival woofer, I fully expect these CP versions to sound excellent.  This will be my most ambitious project yet.
    Gowajr@macS7910kennykJasonPD1PP1Nani_101
  • From what I've read and been told, the coating is really all that's different between the 2. Rival has a lot of carbon-paper models with different coatings for varying damping results; just that only a few are available to us.

Thank you for the kind words!

• PWRRYD said:
    I have some pretty big plans for the four R176-CP-08 I purchased around Christmas time.  My 4 drivers measured almost identical to each other and to the published specs.  Based on Wolf's Fenrir project using a similar Rival woofer, I fully expect these CP versions to sound excellent.  This will be my most ambitious project yet.
    I picked up 4 back then too.  Grumpy measured them and they were spot on as well.  Thinking a nice MTM, or maybe the M's in a WWMTM, but that might be a touch more ambitious than necessary.  I had them in a standard 3-way earlier this year and it worked well but the woofer needed too much box to justify the build.  I shall continue ruminations...

• edited May 2018
    Re is lower than spec (5.6 vs 6.4) and Le is a good bit higher (0.67 vs 0.13). Would it be reasonable to expect that they would be closer to spec with some break in?

Anyone have FR and/or distortion measurements?
  • have some graphs. These were made with ARTA @ approx. 20in with a CS labs mic.

Gowa
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Wow, the distortion is super low!
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!