Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Cheap Ebay cap measurements

Finally got around to measuring some of those cheap caps I have been buying. The TI 18uF came from Steve Slater over at Apex Jr, the rest came off Ebay.

Be advised if buying the TI 18uF from Steve - there are two distinct varieties there. All of the TI 18uF are about 5% or less tolerance, but not overly tight. Good enough for a lot of projects, but the difference in sizes does irk me a tad. 

Here is one of those ASC 1% 10uF jobbers I found the other day:

I have measured thousands of components - and have never had one hit spec at three decimal places. Pretty cool. 

Here is a table of the results:

All in all, for what these caps cost on average - pretty decent. Even the weird TI are close enough to spec that it is debatable if measuring and modeling with actual value is worth your time. Depending on location in the circuit, that up-to-5% difference may result in barely noticeable/measurable difference. 
I have a signature.
JasonPNicholas_23Silver1omo

Comments

• Yes, those look impressive after measurement. Nice. Hope they stick around on the market for a while.
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Anyone have a contact for cheap poly's? Maybe we get a group buy for caps like the madisound ones or something  multiple sizes would be nice but 10uf works well. I'd be in for atleast 100qty or more depending on the situation if the pricing structure is like madisounds. 
  • I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • dcibel said:
    Have you tried any of those?
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • $2.50 is not too much. I just preferred $0.35 each when you bought 50 or more. With the frequency of which build speakers my xover budget is pretty high. If i can save some costs i can sell my speakers easier than having $50 or so in caps. 
  • Im with ya , that .35 cents was a great deal when Madisound had them. Going a "few" years back , they even had some decent deals on some coils too.
  • edited May 2018
    dcibel said:
    Have you tried any of those?

Yep, and I've ordered from that site a few times. For DIY amp projects, they stock some nice aluminum knobs at only a few bucks each, as well as the obvious switches, packs of resistors, various connectors, etc.

The caps work well, are absolutely worth the asking price IMO. Leads are fairly thin wire.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.