Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Beocreate

I noticed today that this product is finally for sale, and it looks really ideal for speaker designers. The price isn't too crazy either, considering it is complete with a 4ch amplifier.

https://www.hifiberry.com/beocreate/

You can set up with a raspberry pi to play music or whatever test signals remotely over wifi, and then program the DSP remotely over wifi from your couch. I'm inexperienced with Sigma Studio, but if it doesn't spit out a final transfer function of the filter, you can measure the sweep the output of the DSP fairly easily to determine a transfer function, then if you want to go passive all you have to do is come up with a matching transfer function.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
D1PP1N

Comments

• edited February 2018
    I like it and would most probably use it in the future. DSP with Pi, and 4 ch amp, 2x30watt and 2x60 watts, the 60 watts can go down to 2 ohms.

But the price is 200$, so unless we are comparing with boutique XO components.... but still it compares favorably with minidsp HD. for the same 200$ you get DSP and amp and wifi streaming (oh, add 35$ for the pi) so 235$

Not sure if it comes with a user friendly DSP software like the miniDSP. Any suggestions for DSP s/w for the Pi?

and the Link to video: 
  • Currently it comes only with an interface driver so you must use Sigma Studio with it which is quite complex software and last I checked doesn't support "on-the-fly" changes like miniDSP, you make changes and then have to push a button to send the entire config to the unit.

It is an open source project though, so my hope for the future would be for some command line interpretations so that we can program the DSP via Linux with a script in the rpi.
  • edited February 2018

We provide the following software:

Beocreate software suite
    This software allows you to activate a Beovox CX50/CX100 or any generic speaker and use them to connect play music via Airplay, Bluetooth or Spotify

Raspbian Lite with the DSP toolkit installed.
    This allows you to use SigmaStudio on your PC to create you own DSP programs. Note that we recommend this only to users that are experienced with DSP tools and filter designs. While this gives you the greatest flexibility with this board, SigmaStudio is a very powerful toolkit that will require some time to understand all the features.

DSP TCP toolkit
    This toolkit can be installed on any system that allows to install additional software (some distributions use read-only filesystems that do not allow to install additional software). This allows use to use SigmaStudio with 3rd party distributions.

The software is open source and we’re planning to add more functionality in the future.

kennyk
  • Neil was doing quite a bit of work on something like this. 
  • Kornbread said:
    Neil was doing quite a bit of work on something like this. 
    I've looked into Neil's initiatives a bit, and the problem is (always) generating the BiQuads for the DSP,  Apparently Sigma Studio is very unfriendly.  The price of the BeoCrate is really not much different than the Sure JAB boards that have DSP and an amp on board. The kicker in the whole scenario is that HifiBerry is involved, and they have experience with user friendly products.  The fact of using a RasPi implies some Python libs to easily setup the BeoCrate.  Could be very useful, at a reasonable price.
    kennyk
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • It's not so much that Sigma Studio is unfriendly, its just not consumer software meant for the end-user, it's for developers so expect it to be complicated.

The raspberry pi implementation provides a lot more than what you get with the Sure boards, as you have a fully functional Pi at the front end so you can provide a DIY media streaming setup, design a web-interface, etc. And can be set up on wifi by simply plugging in a USB dongle. As far as the DSP programming goes, yes what is needed for the future is some libraries so that it can be programmed from Linux in the Pi itself. That would make it perfect for me anyway.
    rjj45kennykSilver1omo