Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Let's talk 16 ohm midwoofer possibilities...

All,

What would you look for in a 16 ohm woofer? Cost? Maximum extension? Minimal cabinet size? Ability to play high? Let's drop some thoughts here!

Personally, I like the look of a three woofered system - but I understand a lot of people may not have an amplifier capable of running three 12 ohm woofers, hence the 16 ohm option. 

To me, and your mileage may vary, I am looking for:

1. Cost. On a system using six woofers, costs can escalate. This is not to say I am looking for GRS level costing, but I am also unable to commit to a sextet of $200 woofers, either.

2. Reasonably small enclosure requirements. When we are talking 3x the cabinet volume, it becomes an issue if the driver likes a cubic foot or more for maximum performance.

3. Decent extension - say it models well in a smallish enclosure to 40Hz.

4. I am not personally looking at sensitivity - as we will expect a significant boost through three paralleled drivers. A lower sensitivity option will not be a deal breaker to me. 

5. Solid Xmax - see above points. 

Thoughts? Throw them out, lets discuss!
I have a signature.

Comments

• I agree 16ohm with about a 13ohm re. Should be solid enough for any modern amp to handle. This would also allow for solid 6-8 ohm designs as well. 6.5" would be most appropriate i think as to keep the baffle fairly narrow and less intrusive. Cabinet volume of .5 to .7 per. 40hz extension, at least. Low le, and response to at least 3k. 
  • I would think a bigger woofer 8" would make more sense, as 3 woofer would be able to handle bass better in terms of low F3, and impact and low dependency on CTC distance. I am not sure how a mid range driver would perform in a 3 driver configuration or a 4 driver configuration. with an 8 incher we can go TMWWW or WWMTMWW and still be ok for 4 ohm capable amps.

If strictly for a woofer, response to at least 1.2k to mate to dome mids and small box, low f3 and high xmax? 
  • Everything JR mentioned and...

45- 50 Hz ported to 3K is fine, 4K is better

If I'm doing multiple woofers it's usually because I want a narrow cabinet, so anything over 6 inches would be a nonstarter. 4 inch is ideal in my world.

I'm tired of hiding pincushion and gasketed frames 

The Dayton DS, DA, DSA 115's in 16 ohms would work for me.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • 5 inch is the sweet spot for me on this
    4 inch is too small for "slam" and 6 inch box sizes are too big
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Why would you guys want a "3 woofer system" woofer be able to play to 3K or 4K?  The lowest woofer would be way too far away from the mid to allow anywhere near that high.  I would think even a 3.5 sort of arrangement would be problematic.
  • This is great - keep it coming! I have been communicating with someone who might be able to help us out once we get to some kind of consensus. 
    I have a signature.
  • Interesting thoughts to consider from everyone. This is a nice topic to discuss. I like the way the sonus faber veneer look with 3 woofers, mid and tweet. My dad has a pair if klipsch rf-83 towers that have 3 x8" woofers and the horn. I like them for movies and being able to push them with a htr to insane volumes. http://www.klipsch.com/products/rf-83

• why do you need 16ohm woofer for 3.5 way? the 0.5 doesn't add value and can be done by a regular 8 ohm woofer. similarly, if we are using 3 driver but doing TMWW, where the MWW are the same woofer, again, why 16ohm is required, though can be used to keep the system impedance at 6ohms or something
    dcibel
  • ani_101 said:
    why do you need 16ohm woofer for 3.5 way? the 0.5 doesn't add value and can be done by a regular 8 ohm woofer. similarly, if we are using 3 driver but doing TMWW, where the MWW are the same woofer, again, why 16ohm is required, though can be used to keep the system impedance at 6ohms or something
    In a 2.5 or 3.5, you want to maintain the same impedance across all woofers If 1 driver were 8ohm, it would see more current than the other(s). 

With four 16ohm drivers, I could see a wtwww arrangement as well for a 2.5 way. Place the tweeter in a WG.
  • I like the idea of the TB 6.5" subs or the Anarchay woofers 16 ohms.  However I can not commit to purchase any.  I would think the DC160 is a great option with its low cost and nice bass performance in a small box.  It is not as nice to look at.
  • ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • 3 way line array.
    :p

• And did you like 'em?
    ............. could you hum a few bars.