Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

State of this Forum

Everyone, feel free to experiment and post anything at this point. Discussions about the forum design are the topic obviously at this point, but anything goes.

Before the actual opening of this forum, you can expect it to be reset at least once. Don't worry about your posts being around forever, heh.
= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."

Comments

• Oh, and by default email notifications of updates are turned off for this forum. You can enable them in: Profile -> Notifications. FYI
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • I recommend we all try and test the post tech a bit, the forum uses BBcode and we should make sure it is compatible with expected standards. I just cut and pasted a topic of mine from TechTalk to test and it seemed solid for my simple BBcode.
  • Who's Online and Sigs added. You can disable your visibility for Who's Online in your profile, and edit your sig there. Needs limits on sig length. Thoughts?
  • Added: The ability to ask a question and select an answer. Not sold on needing this, but we are experimenting!
  • Added KarmaBank, a way to earn Karma (currency) based on rules like: count visit, answer acceptance for questions, etc. Not sure if that is going to stay, or how to expand on it.
  • Added: YAGA application. Basically an entire system supporting user ranks based on points, post count, and age of account. You can now also react to posts and they earn scores under: promote, insightful, awesome, lol, WTF, and spam. Heh.
  • PE is kinda starting to suck worst and worst. I think you guys need to speed this thing up and bring people in. I just look at the Banned thread.
  • edited July 2016
    Agreed, Roman. I'll redouble my effort.
  • PW reset works. just tested.
  • After the"Banned" post, I am seriously considering leaving the PE board for good. The admin are swinging hammers with no direction, just hitting whatever comes into sight.
  • Well, I'll pop in there from time to time but will not post any new projects or support.
  • I have not returned to TechTalk since Jeff Stahl thought it wise to start a thread ranting about "you guys!". I don't plan on returning actually at all, though I have followed updates to threads I am already a part of.
  • It is still good for a chuckle over there - but the annual MWAF circle jerk is pure poison. That thread where certain people were implying the outcome was wrong really drove home how much better MAC events are due to the absence of competitive elements (not to mention our tighter playback controls and better music). The legendary Stahl Tantrum was just the catalyst to me deciding PETT is not worth investing a lot of time into. I pop in, browse, and check out. I click on maybe a single thread - and to be honest, I usually only click on threads that promise to turn into crybaby circle jerk mob attacks. If I posted a thread with measurements on a new Dayton driver, it would receive 1/10th the attention that a thread started about who is banned or "look at my personal rendition of a design that has been built 17,845 time before!!!" will get. Pathetic.

That being said - I think another round of invites is warranted during this test-n-tune stage. How about each of us think of one person we would like to see on the ground floor right now?
    I have a signature.
  • core of NY DIY guys will be a nice addition.
    I would probably try to structure the forum a bit more before bringing in more people. Like have a separate Clubs section so I can go ahead and say, NY DIY, here's the place for you to hang out!
  • I am thinking more along the lines of adding no more than another 4-5 guys in a general discussion format prior to restructuring. I still think we have a ways to go before deciding on a more or less permanent format.
    I have a signature.
  • Face is hanging out on many different forums. I'd bring him in.
    If you going to have woodworking/finishing section, then there's a guy or two on PETT that can contribute a good deal.
  • Face is a good choice. I second.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Invitation sent to Mike.
    I have a signature.
  • Thanks for the invite!
  • Glad your here.
  • Face!!
    My signature goes here
  • jr@mac wrote: »
    It is still good for a chuckle over there - but the annual MWAF circle jerk is pure poison. Pathetic.

Here's another example. Curved line array thread.
    WTF. Arrays are difficult to build. X-over section is complicated. Of course Rick isn't even going to bother publishing logic behind the design or any sort of explanations. It'll be like, here, build mine or Bill F will chime in and point to his not free design.
  • It's getting a little thick with all the "niceties".
  • jr@mac wrote: »
    It is still good for a chuckle over there - but the annual MWAF circle jerk is pure poison. Pathetic.

Here's another example. Curved line array thread.
    WTF. Arrays are difficult to build. X-over section is complicated. Of course Rick isn't even going to bother publishing logic behind the design or any sort of explanations. It'll be like, here, build mine or Bill F will chime in and point to his not free design.

Guys who deliberately dance the commercial/DIY line are kind of assholes regardless. I don't care if it is Rick, Pete/Ryan, Fitzy, or Bagby - they all need to do a better job of keeping their professional endeavors separate from DIY or open up about things.

Remember how pissy things got when that ribbon source was revealed? Yeah, who needs that in DIY?

I have a signature.
  • :+1: I am hoping to get banned from PE. See how it goes.
  • kennyk wrote: »
    It's getting a little thick with all the "niceties".

Are you talking about this forum design, PETT, etc? Missed the context of the statement.
  • Kissing each other's ass. Tossing those "likes" around to your faves. I'm going to measure speakers- ain't I cool. SHIT!
  • I think Kenny means PETT. :)
  • Taking a personal day today to sit with my uncle - his cancer has returned.

I find it amusing that PETT implemented a "like" system - I see PaulK's meter is full already. Surprisingly, mine is pegged up a ways, as well. Huh.
    I have a signature.
  • :+1: I am hoping to get banned from PE. See how it goes.

If you get the ban hammer, make sure it is epic - not for silly stuff like picking on people and making cracks about chili dogs. What a waste of bandwidth most of PETT has become.
    I have a signature.