Select a Style

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (4)

Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Another SB build

I'm back at working on some speakers now that biking season is coming to an end. We had a great season this year with some pretty awesome after ride social parties sponsored by local businesses. 

So I have had this design idea floating around in my head for a while now - I wanted to make a Tarkus type build but with the budget SB PFC drivers. I have a set of the 5" that I had used in my first Iron Driver build kicking around and a set of the SB19 tweeters we had used in the next ID build. SB also has a 8" PFC driver as well so I picked up a pair of those too. I have started with just building the top part for now. Probably going to put the bottom half on hold for a bit. 

Box is .25cf and tuned to 58hz with a 1.5x4" port in WinISD but looks like it is closer to 53hz according to my measurements. Front baffle is laminated BB with strips of Rosewood for accents. 

I was thinking I should put some support behind the baffle between the two speaker cut outs just for some added strength. Been putting it off for a week or so, so I thought today would be a good day (not working). Low and behold I go down to the shop and find that both baffles have separated down the middle!

So I cut out and glued in a strip of wood today and clamped it up. Might have to fill the cracks a bit before dding some finish.

Took some measurements and did some crossover work - ended up with 2nd order on woofer and 3rd on tweeter. Crossover point ended up around 2700hz. 

Patched together a crossover today and took some measurements with the OmniMic.

jhollanderNicholas_23GowagreywardenPWRRYDD1PP1N4thtry

Comments

• Finished this build off the other week. Pretty happy how they turned out except you can see some blemishes where I filled the cracks on the baffles. I used wood glue and sawdust but it just didn't sand out well. Been listening to them the last week and am pretty happy with how they sound - I adjusted the tweeter padding a bit over the original X-over to bring it down a bit. It was just a bit too bright. 

I got some of these little x-over boards from PE - pretty handy. Also I didn't notice that when I ordered them the price was for a pair so now I got a whole bunch!

Turn2jr@macD1PP1NkennykPWRRYDGowagreywarden4thtryS7910
  • Wow!  These look great.
  • Kick-ass looking speakers! I like using those boards.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Look good! Nice fix for the cracked baffles. What veneer did you use btw? Sapele? Forgive me if you posted it i went back and reread but didnt see it. 
  • D1PP1N said:
    Look good! Nice fix for the cracked baffles. What veneer did you use btw? Sapele? Forgive me if you posted it i went back and reread but didnt see it. 
    Thanks guys! I think the veneer was mahogany....it's been a while since I bought it B)
  • That baffle is just too cool. Really nice job.
  • Gowa said:
    That baffle is just too cool. Really nice job.
    Thanks!