Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

ClassDaudio amp project

13»

Comments

• If you get time to post some finished pics I’d love to see how it turned out and how you ended up laying out all your wiring and parts.
    PWRRYD
  • ^^ I'll second that. I always enjoy reading through your build threads. That and seeing the glamour shots when you finish the project.
  • I'll take and post up some pictures as soon as I have time.  I hate to admit it but I just ordered a pair of 500 Watt mono class D boards from China.  Those 2 boards plus a huge toroidal transformer was only $100.  I don't expect the SQ to be as clean and accurate as the ClassDaudio boards, but hopefully they make good subwoofer amps.  We'll see...  not too much invested if they suck  :/
  • I might have some time to snap and post some amp pictures this weekend...  but mostly my time this weekend is dedicated to getting the supercharger back on the Mustang and firing that bitch up on the alky/gas mix!  Haven't heard that blower whine in quite a while.

D1PP1NNicholas_23
  • No garage stuff for me this weekend - calling for 9-18" of white shit thru tomorrow. Fucking SoDak.
    D1PP1N
    I have a signature.
  • Go home winter , youre drunk
  • As with your other projects, that looks great Craig! Very inspiring.
  • Thanks Mike! 

One of my goals on this project was to lay it out so that signal wires, power wires, and speaker wires are as far away from each other as possible.  Where the speaker leads must pass near the DC+/com/DC- leads I made sure they crossed each other at 90 degrees to minimize coupling.  The line level cables are shielded with aluminum foil and a full copper braid.

JasonP
  • Craig, it looks like the line level shield is grounded to the negative side of the RCA connector and the RCA connector is isolated from the chassis? 
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • That is correct.
  • Wow, that really is a great clean layout. Very nice all around! Thanks for taking the time to post the pics!
  • What is the reason the input is floated from the chassis? I don’t know much about amp design so I’m just curious what dictates when they are isolated or not.
  • As long as we're asking questions, I'm not sure what some of these items are?

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited April 2018
    Dynamo,

I float the input line level RCA's so that I don't create a ground loop.  The chassis is tied to earth ground on the primary side of the transformer and tied to the common side of the secondary after the rectifier.  That is all for safety so that if there is ever a short circuit the mains fuse will blow first and protect any wiring from becoming heating elements.  It also ensures that the metal chassis can never be floating at any voltage potential (always grounded for human safety).

The shield on the line level cables could be tied to the chassis.  However I've had really great experience grounding the shield to the line level common at the input RCA's.  I've done this on all my solid state and tube amp and preamp projects and they have all been very quiet.
  • Hi John.

??? -
    bridge rectifier, 1 amp, 300 PIV
    I take the 12 Vac aux winding off the torroid transformer and rectify it for the muffin fan.

Fan speed control module from Ebay - 
    Super cheap, pwm, adjustable 5-30 Vdc, 1.5 amp, voltage regulator board from Ebay.  I think I bought 5 of them for $9.00.  The blue Bourns 10 turn pot sets its output voltage.  I have it set at about 3 volts and it runs the 12 Vdc muffin fan nice and slow.  It's moving air but it is dead silent.

What is this? - 
    10 Amp RFI/EMI filter module.  About $5-10 from Mouser or Allied or Digikey.  This one is separate.  Sometimes I buy my IEC input jack with the fuse and RFI filter built in.
    Silver1omo
  • Thanks for the info. Again, looks very clean!
  • Man, must resist wanting new amplifier.. .. . Killer job Craig. Wiring is cleaner that alot of commercial amps i saw at axpona today. 
  • Thanks Mike.  Yeah, I've opened a few pieces of audio equipment and thought "Man I could have done better than this in grade school". Lol
  • Thanks for posting the pictures Craig.  Fantastic job!
  • So, how about a post assembly pic.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • About 15 posts up ^^^
  • PWRRYD said:
    About 15 posts up ^^^
    OOPS. :3
    ............. could you hum a few bars.