Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Rival Acoustics

12346»

Comments

• jr@mac said:
    Nobody knows what the future holds for door-prizes ;). I will say that it would be nice to see door-prize drivers show up in more builds at subsequent events. 
    Not to be a brown noser, but I made a point of ensuring that my 2014 Door Prizes made it into the 2017 Iowa show.  I heartily agree with your sentiment, JR.
  • That's why I take xo parts. They always show up in diy builds.  :3
    D1PP1N
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • kennyk said:
    That's why I take xo parts. They always show up in diy builds.  :3
    Same grabbed some caos one year and resistors the other year. The resisters are awesome their like 18w ones. 
    kennyk
  • which resistors are those?
  • MartyH said:
    jr@mac said:
    Nobody knows what the future holds for door-prizes ;). I will say that it would be nice to see door-prize drivers show up in more builds at subsequent events. 
    Not to be a brown noser, but I made a point of ensuring that my 2014 Door Prizes made it into the 2017 Iowa show.  I heartily agree with your sentiment, JR.
    That's three years for the prize to be utilized. Not good from a donor's perspective.
    D1PP1N
  • I think Party Marty was MIA a couple years though.
  • PWRRYD said:
    I think Party Marty was MIA a couple years though.
    Yeah, I had a couple years of 'wandering in the desert'.  At my very next event my build included the TL tweeters and Esoteric mids from 2014 DIYIowa. 
  • Yeah kinda like Jim Morrison out in the desert doing peyote <span>:open_mouth:</span>
    GowaMartyH
  • AchrOhmiC made in france. They were from solen.   from the chicago DIY. They are 16w not 18w sorry. 
  • Got my caps and resistors yesterday! Thanks guys for the extra resistors too =)

jr@macD1PP1NkennykThumperTom
  • Received mine(big grin)!  <3
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Curious if any of you have had a chance to measure distortion on the rival paper carbon drivers ? My little amp died , probably my fault but then again my distortion measurements probably wouldnt be accurate anyways as Im still learning that part. 
    Thanks

• If I missed the distortion post , please excuse me.

• I have not done any testing. 
    I have a signature.
  • Can anyone explain the differences mylar caps can exhibit vs polys and what frequency range they may have a negative impact? I lve been using them for testing but then buy polys after im done. I understand this is a general and vague question but im just trying to see what im losing by using those and if so is it only when your pushing lots of power to the speakers that its noticible?
  • So both are metalized film on plastic. The plastic dielectric is either polyester/ Mylar or polypropylene. The polyester show greater change in capacitance over change frequency than polypropylene.

https://www.vishay.com/docs/26033/gentechinfofilm.pdf

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Curious if any of you have had a chance to measure distortion on the rival paper carbon drivers ? My little amp died , probably my fault but then again my distortion measurements probably wouldnt be accurate anyways as Im still learning that part. 
    Thanks

I won't have a chance to measure mine for several months.
  • Sounds good guys, Thanks. I wasnt sure if I missed a distortion post or not. 
  • dcibel said:
    Everything about these photos says Wavecor to me. The motor looks exactly like Wavecor balanced drive, and even the label on the motor, you could literally replace the Rival logo with Wavecor. This is good news, as the retail cost a Wavecor WF182 is a lot more than the sale price of these Rival units.

I've been thinking of what to build with my pair of Motus tweeters. Realistically I want to use the nice underhung Motus woofers, but they carry a pretty high price tag, or do I cave in and buy a pair of the Rival drivers at the current sale price? Decisions, decisions...

Here's some photo of my WF120 for comparison.

Driver and packaging:

From the back with label and terminals:

And the motor:

jr@mac said:
    If you have 4 of those, I have a nice TMM design you can have.