Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Rival Acoustics

Comments

• Here is the 7''.

• That matte black looks good.  I got my CPs today they remind me of mini usher woofers.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Like 'em, please get them....!
  • edited January 2018
    Here's the little feller. 4.5'' R120-ACB-08 & R120-RCB-04

jr@mackennykPWRRYDR-Carpenter
  • re: 4.5'' R120-ACB-08 & R120-RCB-04

Good size for a pure mid, and I know the motor will be strong.
    Looks like this are Alu cones?  Any chance of Paper or Kevlar/Paper cones?
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • edited January 2018
    They have a few versions of paper cones that are proprietary formulated. Some are made in Canada and some are made in China. I think this 4.5'' is made offshore. There is also a woven carbon hybrid in the 4.5'' that looks interesting.
  • I see allot of people comparing the Rival paper driver to Usher. Well, I had a little time to kill before the kids get here and thought I’d play a little. This is not gospel but here is a general comparison between the Usher 8945P and Rival R176-P-08.  Doesn't really mean much, but fun to do.

ani_101
  • dcibel said:
    Everything about these photos says Wavecor to me. The motor looks exactly like Wavecor balanced drive, and even the label on the motor, you could literally replace the Rival logo with Wavecor. This is good news, as the retail cost a Wavecor WF182 is a lot more than the sale price of these Rival units.

I've been thinking of what to build with my pair of Motus tweeters. Realistically I want to use the nice underhung Motus woofers, but they carry a pretty high price tag, or do I cave in and buy a pair of the Rival drivers at the current sale price? Decisions, decisions...

Here's some photo of my WF120 for comparison.

Driver and packaging:

From the back with label and terminals:

And the motor:

Have you ran any measurements on those Wavecors?
  • Not yet, but you can find measurwments in Zaph's blog and Audioxpress Test Bench
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Well, that's certainly a nice driver, but that $109.86 USD price is hard to take.
  • Good thing I didn't pay retail for them :)
  • Just a quick product update.

Sean just informed me that RAD will no longer carry Rival’s Caps and Resistors. RAD don’t move enough of these products to justify inventory. There’s still Caps & Resistors in RAD inventory, but when they are gone they will not be replenished. Also, RAD will not be carrying inductors of any kind once inventory is gone. RAD will focus on drivers only.

• Damn, too bad - seem like nice caps at a good price.
    I have a signature.
  • edited January 2018
    The caps are very good. That market may be saturated. A guy in France contacted us last year and told us that they are far better than Solen's, but I can't tell you if that correct or not. I think Sean is going to offer some kind of sale on them.
  • I'm not a fan of the black Solen caps, so I can believe the comment
  • The "designer pack" is $90 right now. Ordered one. 
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    The "designer pack" is $90 right now. Ordered one. 
    That damn shipping ! 
  • How much for shipping?
  • 17 bucks and some change
  • It is still a very good deal, though.
    I have a signature.
  • $107.22 total to get it shipped state side. 
  • Hope they put some more on sale
  • edited January 2018
    RAD has the 'P' driver on sale now. We'll keep the cap packs on sale until they are gone. I'm not sure how many Sean has made. We want to keep some individual caps and resistors for those in need of some and don't have use for the full pack. RAD is negotiating for the release of a clearance driver very similar to the 'CP'. We should know next week.
  • I used mills resistors when possible and Audyn Caps when possible as well . Excluding shipping.
    Tried to match up to the polar cap values , if it wasnt listed I went up to the next value. 

• So at the normal price with shipping, the two orders are very similarly priced. The Rival are very nice caps, well made. 
    I have a signature.
  • The cap pack was a good enough deal to justify the purchase, since I have some upcoming builds that will need some crossovers, this probably saves me a fair bit in the long run. I also ordered some inductors as well, it's unfortunate that RAD won't be keeping them in stock, there's very few places to get iron core inductors in Canada that don't cost an arm and a leg to ship. There's Qcomponents, but their prices are a bit bonkers for inductors.
  • I'm not exactly sure what's up with Q Components. They've been around for quite some time (1980) but I've never purchased from them. I could never seem to get past their pricing.
  • edited January 2018
    I've purchased from them a few times, the pricing is okay for pro audio speakers such as Eminence, B&C, Celestion, as well I purchased my Duratex through them, and hardware such as speakon connectors, handles, rubber feet, etc.

I bought some grill fabric from them that was very nice, but the images on their site are really hard to determine what you're getting, and they have not responded to my email asking for samples. They have some nice vintage looking grill fabric which I'd rather use over boring black that you see everywhere, and the updated site does have better photos than previously.
  • I agree. The grill fabric that they carry is very interesting. I may pick up some for my Helio speakers this summer. They have two websites.