Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Evil Barbs

I finally finished up evil Barbs speakers and I like how they sound.

Ron
Turn2jhollander4thtryBryan@MACS7910

Comments

• edited December 2017

I don't see the PDF I attached so I'll try again.  Here's a link. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PqwSaROB7cOVJKzclLehSwESOu3DkSia/view?usp=sharing

Ron
  • Ron, nice write up and they look fantastic.  Any more details about how you did the port trim ring?
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Impeccable job Ron.  I saw the one cab at IA DIY and am always impressed by your woodworking skills.  I bet they sound great too.  

• Ron, nice write up and they look fantastic.  Any more details about how you did the port trim ring?

I used a jasper jig and a 1/16" (IIRC) router bit to cut a shallow grove that matched the OD of the plastic port tube. Then I flipped the board over and fastened it to some scrap with double stick tape so I could cut the doughnut with the jasper jig. I made the inside of the doughnut hole just undersized and put a piece of scrape cut off from the port tube in the grove I'd cut on the back side and held it in place with some tape while I used a top bearing bit on my router table to get the ID of the doughnut to be an exact match to the ID of the port tube. I used a small round over bit on the router table to round over the inner and outer doughnut edges by taking shallow passes while holding the doughnut against the router bit bearing my hand. I'd marked the holes for the screws before I started cutting and did countersinks about half way through the doughnut with a forstner bit and then I drilled the through holes. After I'd finished the doughnut I used some Loctite 5 minute epoxy to glue the port tube to it.

Ron
  • Really nice, smooth finish.  Wish I could get my speakers to look this good
  • Very nice built...
  • Very nice Ron
  • Very nice looking Ron!
  • Brilliant & simple crossbracing scheme. That's an idea worth stealing...err, borrowing.