Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

New TT project

50lb Al platter machined by a friend of mine. Polished carbide spherical bearing and neo ring magnets to alleviate the weight.
I have to come up with worthy plinth for it. Thinking of DIYing Schroeder tonearm

cssaudio14thtrykennykS7910D1PP1NBryan@MACgreywarden

Comments

• Are thinking multiple motors?
    PWRRYD
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • kennyk said:
    Are thinking multiple motors?
    Thinking 2 motors. Also thinking magnetic suspension. To levitate the thing.
    kennykgreywarden4thtry
  • Very cool project!! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on this. I have been dreaming of building a DIY Schroeder type arm for years. It's not like I spin much vinyl these days, but I love the engineering aspects of tonearms. I built a crude uni-pivot arm years ago, but without access to a machine shop, a Schroeder type is just a thought process to help me get to sleep.
  • All I can say is "Wow."  Makes my old Kenwood KD500 turntable, Formula 4 arm and Grace F9E cartridge look pathetic.    Good luck with this project!

• Started 3D modeling for another version with 3 motors. Just a concept at this point.
    PWRRYDD1PP1N
  • Very cool. Looks pretty substantial. Will you need a small forklift to move it?
  • Only one tonearm mount?  :o
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Veneered Baltic Birch for stability or solid wood? 

You could also consider Panzerholz or phenolic(plus veneer).

• or sand-cast bronze 
    deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)
  • What do you plan to use for the belts (assuming you will have belts). I've been using 1/2 inch - matches the pulley - clear non-adhesive mylar tape. I bought a spool of it 5 years ago or so and both the spool and the belt seem to have been lost in my move a year ago. You would think 1/2 inch plastic non-adhesive tape (or ribbon, or ?) would be an easy Google search, but it is not.